1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant of motion in velocity dependent motion

1. Jun 19, 2011 #1
    I have little confusion, we know that if Lagrangian is from from variable [itex]\theta[/itex] then conjugate momenta [itex]P_{\theta}[/itex] is a constant of motion. When it comes to velocity dependent potential like [itex]L=1/2mv^2+qv\times B[/itex] how will this differ ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2011 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

This cannot be right since you ad a scalar and a vector. The correct Lagrangian for the nonrelativistic motion of a point particle in an external electromagnetic field is given by

[tex]L=\frac{m}{2} \vec{v}^2-q \Phi(\vec{x})+q \frac{\vec{v}}{c} \cdot \vec{A}(\vec{x}).[/tex]

where [itex]\Phi[/itex] is the scalar potential, and [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] is the vector potential of the electromagnetic field. I've used Gaussian (or Heaviside-Lorentz) units.

4. Jun 20, 2011 #3
    You are right, thanks. I actually resolved what I was asking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook