1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant stress lines in a two-dimensional problem

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    1. Problem statement
    In a two-dimensional problem, σx=300xy and σy=300xy and τxy=0 at x=y=0. Determine lines of constant shear stress τxy in the x-y plane and plot them for τxy=100, 300, 400.

2. Relevant equations
    dσx/dx + dτxy/dy + X = 0 [1]
    dτxy/dx + dσy/dy + Y = 0 [2]

At least I think these are the ones I need.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First off, when τxy is constant both dτxy/dx and dτxy/dy should be 0.
    Further more, to simplify the problem I assume that the body forces X and Y are 0.

Then : dσx/dx = 300y and dσy/dy = 300x which can then be filled into equation [1] and [2] and I can then calculate for which values of x and y both terms end up as 0.

However if I do this, I (offcourse) end up with the equation y=x which seems a little simple to me and from this result I have no idea to plot lineS for the values of τxy as given in the assignment.

So actually, I think I'm either approaching this problem with a completely wrong method or I'm missing a part of the problem.

Any help or hints will be very much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2
    I think the intention here was to solve for τxy under the assumption that X = Y =0. You need to use both the stress equilibrium equations to do this.

4. Feb 21, 2013 #3
    I think I've solved it now thanks to your tip Chestermiller!

I shouldn't have analyzed the derivatives but just find an equation by integrating both stress equilibrium equations and then combining them, then set this equation equal to the given shear stress values and determine all values of x and y for which this is true.

In which I have succeeded in doing.

Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook