Constant stress lines in a two-dimensional problem

In summary, the problem involves determining lines of constant shear stress τxy in a two-dimensional problem where σx=300xy, σy=300xy, and τxy=0 at x=y=0. The equations used are dσx/dx + dτxy/dy + X = 0 and dτxy/dx + dσy/dy + Y = 0, with the assumption that X = Y =0. By integrating and combining these equations, the values of τxy can be set equal to the given shear stress values to determine all values of x and y.
pedrok
1. Problem statement
In a two-dimensional problem, σx=300xy and σy=300xy and τxy=0 at x=y=0. Determine lines of constant shear stress τxy in the x-y plane and plot them for τxy=100, 300, 400.

Homework Equations

dσx/dx + dτxy/dy + X = 0 [1]
dτxy/dx + dσy/dy + Y = 0 [2]

At least I think these are the ones I need.

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, when τxy is constant both dτxy/dx and dτxy/dy should be 0.
Further more, to simplify the problem I assume that the body forces X and Y are 0.

Then : dσx/dx = 300y and dσy/dy = 300x which can then be filled into equation [1] and [2] and I can then calculate for which values of x and y both terms end up as 0.

However if I do this, I (offcourse) end up with the equation y=x which seems a little simple to me and from this result I have no idea to plot lineS for the values of τxy as given in the assignment.

So actually, I think I'm either approaching this problem with a completely wrong method or I'm missing a part of the problem.

Any help or hints will be very much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the intention here was to solve for τxy under the assumption that X = Y =0. You need to use both the stress equilibrium equations to do this.

I think I've solved it now thanks to your tip Chestermiller!

I shouldn't have analyzed the derivatives but just find an equation by integrating both stress equilibrium equations and then combining them, then set this equation equal to the given shear stress values and determine all values of x and y for which this is true.

In which I have succeeded in doing.

Thanks so much!

1. What are constant stress lines in a two-dimensional problem?

Constant stress lines in a two-dimensional problem refer to lines on a graph representing points where the stress values are constant. These lines help to visualize and analyze the distribution of stress in a two-dimensional system.

2. How are constant stress lines determined in a two-dimensional problem?

Constant stress lines are determined by solving the equations of equilibrium and compatibility in a two-dimensional problem. These equations involve the stress and displacement components and are solved using mathematical methods such as the principle of superposition.

3. What is the significance of constant stress lines in a two-dimensional problem?

Constant stress lines provide important information about the distribution of stress in a two-dimensional system. They can help identify areas of high stress concentration and assist in determining the overall stability and strength of the system.

4. How do constant stress lines relate to the concept of stress concentration?

Constant stress lines can be used to identify areas of stress concentration, where the stress values are significantly higher than the average stress in the system. These areas are important to consider in design and analysis as they can lead to failure or deformation of the system.

5. Can constant stress lines change in a two-dimensional problem?

Yes, constant stress lines can change in a two-dimensional problem depending on the load and boundary conditions. For example, as the load increases, the constant stress lines may shift or the spacing between them may change. Additionally, changes in the geometry of the system can also affect the distribution of constant stress lines.