Constant temperature distribution across the surface of a disk

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the goal is to obtain a function that returns the temperature at a chosen point on a disk of constant temperature. The attempt at a solution involved using the polar form of the 2D steady state Laplace equation and solving for Fourier coefficients. However, the resulting equation returned varying temperatures for different points on the disk, indicating a misunderstanding of the problem or incorrect approach. It was suggested that the end result will likely consist of two equations satisfying a shared boundary condition.
ps1

Homework Statement

First of all can i say that my question is part of a bigger problem that I'm trying to solve, but for the moment I'm stuck at this bit!

I'm trying to obtain a function that will return the temperature at a chosen point [itex](r,\theta)[/itex] on a disk of radius [itex]r_{0}[/itex]. The temperature of the disk is constant across its area.

Homework Equations

So far what I have done is use a general solution for the polar form of the 2d steady state laplace equation;

[itex]f(r,\theta) = (1/2)a_0 + \sum\limits_{n} (r/r_0)^n (a_n cos(n\theta) + b_n sin(n\theta))[/itex]

and solved for the Fourier coefficients using [itex]g(\theta) = T[/itex] where [itex]T[/itex] is the temperature distribution around the disk's perimeter.

The Attempt at a Solution

I had hoped to get an equation that would give the same temperature for all points on the disk but instead i have this;

[itex]f(r,\theta) = T + \sum\limits_{n} (r/r_0)^n (T/\pi) cos(n\theta)[/itex]

which returns varying temperatures depending on which point i choose. some points are warmer than the disk itself! something is obviously wrong. i believe that I'm thinking about the problem the wrong way or I've not fully understood what I'm trying to do. the idea is that i can eventually choose a point outside the disk and find the temperature there, then plot a heat flow graph with other boundaries at different temperatures.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's trivial to find a function that takes a constant value. You appear to be assuming that it is possible to find a single function in Fourier expansion form that returns a constant value over an entire disc but other values elsewhere. That is not going to happen. Your end result will at least consist of two equations, one for points in the disc and one for elsewhere. There share a boundary, so just ensure the two equations satisfy that boundary condition.

1. What is the significance of a constant temperature distribution across the surface of a disk?

A constant temperature distribution across the surface of a disk indicates that the temperature is evenly distributed and consistent throughout the disk. This is important in applications where temperature control is crucial, such as in electronic devices or industrial processes.

2. How is a constant temperature distribution achieved in a disk?

A constant temperature distribution can be achieved through various methods, such as by using a heat sink, a cooling system, or by designing the disk to have a uniform thickness and material composition.

3. What factors can affect the constant temperature distribution in a disk?

The material properties of the disk, its shape and size, the environment in which it is used, and the heat transfer mechanisms at play can all affect the constant temperature distribution across the disk's surface.

4. Why is a constant temperature distribution important in thermal management?

A constant temperature distribution ensures that all components of the disk are operating at the same temperature, preventing hot spots and ensuring optimal performance. It also helps to prevent damage to the disk and prolong its lifespan.

5. Can a constant temperature distribution be maintained over time?

Yes, with proper design and maintenance, a constant temperature distribution can be maintained over time. Regular inspections and adjustments may be necessary to ensure that the disk continues to operate at a consistent temperature.