1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constant temperature distribution across the surface of a disk

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1

ps1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

First of all can i say that my question is part of a bigger problem that i'm trying to solve, but for the moment i'm stuck at this bit!

I'm trying to obtain a function that will return the temperature at a chosen point [itex](r,\theta)[/itex] on a disk of radius [itex]r_{0}[/itex]. The temperature of the disk is constant across its area.

2. Relevant equations

So far what I have done is use a general solution for the polar form of the 2d steady state laplace equation;

[itex]f(r,\theta) = (1/2)a_0 + \sum\limits_{n} (r/r_0)^n (a_n cos(n\theta) + b_n sin(n\theta))[/itex]

and solved for the fourier coefficients using [itex]g(\theta) = T[/itex] where [itex]T[/itex] is the temperature distribution around the disk's perimeter.

3. The attempt at a solution

I had hoped to get an equation that would give the same temperature for all points on the disk but instead i have this;

[itex]f(r,\theta) = T + \sum\limits_{n} (r/r_0)^n (T/\pi) cos(n\theta)[/itex]

which returns varying temperatures depending on which point i choose. some points are warmer than the disk itself! something is obviously wrong. i believe that i'm thinking about the problem the wrong way or i've not fully understood what i'm trying to do. the idea is that i can eventually choose a point outside the disk and find the temperature there, then plot a heat flow graph with other boundaries at different temperatures.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's trivial to find a function that takes a constant value. You appear to be assuming that it is possible to find a single function in Fourier expansion form that returns a constant value over an entire disc but other values elsewhere. That is not going to happen. Your end result will at least consist of two equations, one for points in the disc and one for elsewhere. There share a boundary, so just ensure the two equations satisfy that boundary condition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted