What is the Acceleration of C in This Constrained Motion Problem?

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the acceleration of block C is 1 m/s2 upwards due to the acceleration of block B towards the right with an acceleration of 1 m/s2. This is inferred by considering the displacement of the two connected strings, which are equal in length. The direction of acceleration of block C is the same as the direction of acceleration of block B.
Saitama

Homework Statement

If acceleration of A is 2m/s2 to the left and acceleration of B is 1m/s2 to left, then acceleration of C is (see attachment 1)
A)1m/s2 upwards
B)1m/s2 downwards
C)2m/s2 downwards
D)2m/s2 upwards

Ans: A

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(see attachment 2, I hope the labels are clear)
Let the radius of smaller pulleys be r and that of bigger pulleys be R. I have marked the lengths of different portions of string. L is the length of total string.
[tex]L=x_1+2 \times \pi r+x_2+x_3+2\times \pi R/4+2x_4[/tex]
Differentiating twice w.r.t time
[tex]0=\ddot{x_1}+\ddot{x_2}+\ddot{x_3}+2\ddot{x_4}[/tex]
Now I am confused as to what should be the value of ##\ddot{x_1}##. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• constrained motion.png
    constrained motion.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 441
  • constrained motion 2.png
    constrained motion 2.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 452
Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest expressing ##x_1## as a function of time, then differentiating twice.

Without calculus, it is not as easy. I can't think of a useful hint to give in this case except to say, use your intuition.

Last edited:
Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:

Isn't x1 a function of x2 and x3 ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Isn't x1 a function of x2 and x3 ? :wink:
Yes but then how do I write ##x_1## in terms of ##x_2## and ##x_3##? Something like this: ##x_2+x_3+\text{some constant}##?

Pranav-Arora said:
##x_2+x_3+\text{some constant}##?

yes! :smile:

(what's wrong with that?? :wink:)

Okay so I get,
[tex]0=2\ddot{x_2}+2\ddot{x_3}+2\ddot{x_4}[/tex]
[tex]\ddot{x_4}=-(\ddot{x_2}+\ddot{x_3})[/tex]
##\because \ddot{x_2}=2 m/s^2## and ##x_2=\ddot{x_2}=1 m/s^2##
[tex]\ddot{x_4}=-3 m/s^2[/tex]

This is definitely wrong. :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
acceleration of A is 2m/s2 to the left and acceleration of B is 1m/s2 to left

:wink:

tiny-tim said:
:wink:

Can you please explain a bit more? I am still not able to understand what to do with that info. :(

Pranav-Arora said:
acceleration of A is 2m/s2 to the left and acceleration of B is 1m/s2 to left
so x2' = 2, and x3' = … ? :wink:

Pranav-Arora said:
##x_2=\ddot{x_2}=1 m/s^2##
I assume you meant ##\ddot{x_3}=1 m/s^2##, but that's still wrong. Which way is B moving?

Pranav-Arora said:
Can you please explain a bit more? I am still not able to understand what to do with that info. :(

If A moves left while B is stationary, C would move up.

If B moved left while A was stationary, C would move down.

So the effects of leftward motion of A & B have opposite effects on C.

tiny-tim said:
so x2' = 2, and x3' = … ? :wink:

Is that a typo or are you actually asking me to calculate the first derivative? :uhh:

sorry, i meant '' not '

tiny-tim said:
sorry, i meant '' not '

But that still doesn't help. Both the accelerations are in the same direction. Should I work on the signs of first derivatives?

Pranav-Arora said:
But that still doesn't help. Both the accelerations are in the same direction.

But x2 is measured to the left, and x3 is measured to the right. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
But x2 is measured to the left, and x3 is measured to the right. :smile:

So ##\ddot{x_2}=2 m/s^2## and ##\ddot{x_3}=-1 m/s^2##?

But is it wrong to think about the signs of first derivative? I never specified any directions, like you said that x2 is measured to the right.

Pranav-Arora said:
But is it wrong to think about the signs of first derivative?

i don't see how it helps :confused:
I never specified any directions …
yes you did!

it's clear from your diagram that x2 and x3 are always positive, and so must be measured from the fixed end, which is in the middle

Likes 2 people
tiny-tim said:
it's clear from your diagram that x2 and x3 are always positive, and so must be measured from the fixed end, which is in the middle

Okay, so in general, I have to specify the directions and measure distances from a fixed end. I guess I have to do some more practice on these problems. -.-'

Anyways, I get ##\ddot{x_4}=-1 m/s^2##. Do I have to put my reasoning for the negative sign like this: Since ##x_4## is positive, the negative sign indicates that the block C moves upwards. Would that be enough?

Thanks a lot tiny-tim! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Do I have to put my reasoning for the negative sign like this: Since ##x_4## is positive, the negative sign indicates that the block C moves upwards. Would that be enough?

It probably doesn't need any reasoning.

If you want to provide a reason, just say that x4 is decreasing, and x4 is the depth below the main level :wink:

tiny-tim said:
If you want to provide a reason, just say that x4 is decreasing, and x4 is the depth below the main level :wink:

Okay. Thanks again! :)

Here is my proposed solution :

Instead of five string lengths x1,x2,x3 and two x4's. I will take two string lengths y and z .

y = x1+x2+x4 and z = x3+x4

Now,I will work in the frame of top left block (A) ,the one moving to the left with acceleration 2 m/2.In this frame the top right block(B) appears to move with an acceleration 1 m/2 towards right .

When the block B moves a distance x towards right ,it produces a change Δy in string y and a change Δz in string z such that 2(x) = Δy + Δz.

Now we see that the middle block (C) is attached from two strings (y and z).This allows us to infer that the displacement of the block would cause an equal displacement in the two strings (y and z) i.e,Δy = Δz.

Now,2(x) = Δy + Δz ,so,2(x) = 2(Δy) ,or x=Δy=Δz.

Movement of block B towards right would cause block C moving upwards.

From this we can infer that the acceleration of block B towards right would produce an equal acceleration in block C in upwards direction ,1m2.

If instead of block A ,we work from the frame of block B,we again end up with the same result.

It would be nice if the mentors could confirm my way of approaching the problem :smile:

Last edited:
Hi Tanya! :smile:

How is that quicker than …
Pranav-Arora said:
[tex]0=2\ddot{x_2}+2\ddot{x_3}+2\ddot{x_4}[/tex]
[tex]\ddot{x_4}=-(\ddot{x_2}+\ddot{x_3})[/tex]

?​

tiny-tim said:
Hi Tanya! :smile:
How is that quicker than …

Hi tiny-tim :smile:

I didnt proposed it as a better solution.I just put forward my way of thinking about the problem.The solution looks lengthy as I had to explain the details.All this was done mentally.

The approach outlined by you is very nice and applies in all situations.

Nevertheless,you didnt tell if my approach is okay.

you can certainly choose the reference frame of either block :smile:

your actual calculations look rather complicated (and i honestly haven't checked them) …

you can simly say that there are two strings to the right block, and two strings to the lowerr block, so the lengthening of one must equal the shortening of the other :wink:

(you could also do that in the lab frame, but the fact that there are three pairs of strings can cause confusion as to which are the same sign! :redface:)

Likes 1 person
Thanks

Last edited:

What is a constrained motion problem?

A constrained motion problem refers to a situation in which there are limitations or restrictions on the movement of an object or system. These constraints can be imposed by physical boundaries, forces, or other factors.

What are some examples of constrained motion problems?

Some common examples of constrained motion problems include a pendulum swinging in a specific arc, a car turning on a curved road, or a satellite orbiting around a planet. These situations all involve objects or systems that are limited in their motion by external factors.

How do scientists approach solving constrained motion problems?

Scientists typically use mathematical equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion and the principles of conservation of energy and momentum, to analyze and solve constrained motion problems. They also often use computer simulations and models to better understand the behavior of constrained systems.

What are the challenges of studying constrained motion problems?

One of the main challenges of studying constrained motion problems is accurately accounting for all the factors that may affect the motion of the system. This can include uncertainties in measurements, complex interactions between multiple objects, and the effects of external forces such as friction and air resistance.

What real-world applications rely on an understanding of constrained motion problems?

Constrained motion problems are relevant in many fields, including engineering, physics, and robotics. They are used to design and optimize structures, machines, and vehicles, as well as to predict and control the movements of objects in various environments. Examples include designing bridges, analyzing the motion of satellites, and programming robotic arms for precise movements.