Constrains on new Higgs scalars from LHC recent data

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of studying new Higgs scalars and how data from the LHC can provide constraints for this. The mention of a paper by CMS and exclusions on neutral MSSM Higgs bosons suggests that any MSSM with h or H at 125 GeV +/- should have a tan beta of around 12 or less.
Safinaz
Hi all,

I wonder if I study new Higgs scalars, How the data of the LHC for searching for heavier scalars
in h-> WW->lvlv and h -> ZZ-> 4 l channels like in [arXiv:1304.0213] can make constrain on my
study for the new Higgs?

How a figure like figure 2 can give me data for my model free parameters ..

Bests,
S.S.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Likes 1 person
CMS recently pre-published a paper excluding heavy Higgs bosons up to the high hundreds of GeVs http://arxiv.org/abs/1405.4158; the exclusions from ATLAS aren't quite the same but are comparable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Hi guys,

Thanks, I got it.

More CMS exclusions on neutral MSSM Higgs bosons (h, H and A) are found at http://arxiv.org/pdf/1408.3316.pdf

The main takeaway is that any MSSM with h or H at 125 GeV +/- needs to have tan beta of around 12 or less. Obviously, these exclusions are not model independent, but they do provide another perspective on the issue of extra Higgs boson exclusions.

Likes 1 person

1. What are Higgs scalars and why are they important in particle physics?

Higgs scalars are fundamental particles that are predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics. They are responsible for giving mass to other particles, and their discovery was a crucial confirmation of the model's validity.

2. What are the recent data from the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) telling us about Higgs scalars?

The LHC has provided us with new data that suggests there may be constraints on the existence of new Higgs scalars. These constraints could potentially challenge our current understanding of the Standard Model.

3. How is the LHC able to detect and study Higgs scalars?

The LHC uses powerful particle accelerators to collide protons at high energies. The resulting collisions can produce Higgs scalars, which can then be detected and studied by specialized detectors.

4. What are some potential implications of the constraints on new Higgs scalars?

If the constraints on new Higgs scalars are confirmed, it could mean that our current understanding of the Standard Model is incomplete. This could lead to new theories and models to explain the data, and could potentially open up new avenues for research in particle physics.

5. What is the significance of this research for the field of particle physics?

This research is significant because it provides new insights into the nature of Higgs scalars and their role in the Standard Model. It also highlights the importance of continued research and experimentation at the LHC to further our understanding of fundamental particles and their interactions.