Constraints on the Gibbs Equation, Tds = dh - vdP

  • Thread starter Thread starter afurry91
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Constraints Gibbs
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
afurry91
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What constraints are imposed on the use of the Gibbs equation Tds = dh - vdP


Homework Equations



Tds = dh - vdP

The Attempt at a Solution



I seem to be stuck on this question. So far I have come up with the following constraints, but I'm not even sure if they are correct:

1. The equation holds for only closed systems at constant pressure
2. The equations holds only for systems in which the free energy depends only on P and T.
3. The equation doesn't apply on mixtures or supercooled liquids.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
afurry91 said:

Homework Statement


What constraints are imposed on the use of the Gibbs equation Tds = dh - vdP


Homework Equations



Tds = dh - vdP

The Attempt at a Solution



I seem to be stuck on this question. So far I have come up with the following constraints, but I'm not even sure if they are correct:

1. The equation holds for only closed systems at constant pressure
2. The equations holds only for systems in which the free energy depends only on P and T.
3. The equation doesn't apply on mixtures or supercooled liquids.

#1 can't be right - there is dp in the formula ...
#2 ?
#3 ?

So: 1st hint: how does the term Tds enter your equation?