VdP term in definition of constant volume specific heat

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
rastafik
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I know that for constant volume ∂q=du and so du=Cv.dT
However i don't understand how did we get to ∂q=du by neglecting the vdP term of enthalpy
What I am trying to say is, is enthalpy this ∆U+P∂V+V∂P or this ∆U+P∂V? I don't understand since the definition of enthalpy is derived out of a constant pressure volume change
And why snt specific heat at constant volume Cv=∆U+V∂P/dT instead of Cv=∆U/dT?

Thank you in advance for your answers

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


From what I see:
∂Qnet,in=∆U+∂Wnet,out
∂Qnet,in=∆U+P∂V+V∂P

C=∂Qnet,in/dT

For constant pressure:
Cp=∆U+P∂V/dT assuming ∆U+P∂V is enthalpy then ∆H=Cp.∆P

For constant volume:
Cv=∆U+V∂P/dT but all the books say it actually is just ∆U/dT
where did the VdP term go? if we add heat to a fixed volume won't its pressure increase and so VdP would be relevant?
 
Physics news on Phys.org