1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Construct a free cubic spline

1. Dec 12, 2005 #1
    Construct a free cubic spline to approximate f(x) = e^ -x , by using values for x = 0 , 0.25, 0.75, 1
    now i know i have to contstruct something like this
    [tex] ss_{j} = a_{j} + b_{j} (x - x_{j}) + c_{j} (x-x_{j})^2 + d_{j} (x- x_{j})^3 [/tex]
    also we know from the initial conditions that a0 = f(0), but im not sure what to do after this...

I have to do this for each interval and in all there will be three splines (cubic polynomials) But i cannot find any of the a,b,c, or d s. My textbook doesnt help either... i wouldnt be asking this if it gave a good xample showing how it got the answer rather than show me a code for maple to find this! Perhaps you could direct me to a website that ilustrates how to a1,b1,c1, and so on ...
    YOur hlep would be greatlly apprcietaetd since my exam is in about 5 hours... I

And yes i know this is last minute but i have consulted numerous books and all of that searhin ahs yielded nothing or use.

Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2005 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?