Constructing a Pond/Tub for Humans & Fish: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary: Well people do swim/bathe in streams, rivers, lakes, oceans (in which fish live) - but there is a risk of getting parasites or bacteria depending on local concitions. It is always advisable to shower/wash after swimming in natural waters.No, it would not be possible.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Alright, my friend has a small and will now be extending it a little bit.

I was thinking that he can make part of it as a semi-jacuzzi thing that blends into the pond (with fish).

The swimmers/human part of the pond will not be accessible by the fish (screen). Also, it will be cleaner. I was thinking a nice filter or somehting of the like.

My real question is...

...would it be possible to make the water clean enough for humans, but also liveable for the fish?

Physics news on Phys.org
would it be possible to make the water clean enough for humans, but also liveable for the fish?

It has been tother way round up till now, the humans will probably kill the fish.:smile:

I don't think fish are particularly fond of chlorine.

To keep it clean enough for humans, you would half to treat it with chemicals. The fish may not do so good with that. Why not put a plexiglass devider between them?

hypatia said:
To keep it clean enough for humans, you would half to treat it with chemicals. The fish may not do so good with that. Why not put a plexiglass devider between them?

That sounds like a good idea.

...would it be possible to make the water clean enough for humans, but also liveable for the fish?
Well people do swim/bathe in streams, rivers, lakes, oceans (in which fish live) - but there is a risk of getting parasites or bacteria depending on local concitions. It is always advisable to shower/wash after swimming in natural waters.

However, it is normal to use some type of disinfecting agent, such as chlorine in swimming pools and hot tubs/whirlpools where people congregate. The disinfectants are generally harmful to fish.

Hypatia has a great idea! Keep the waters separated and use a plexiglass or polycarbonate boundary (divider) - properly sealed.

Why not shoot the works and make the divider a bar (or at least a shelf to set your drinks on)?

Danger said:
Why not shoot the works and make the divider a bar (or at least a shelf to set your drinks on)?
Or maybe even put an entire bar on the divider

dav2008 said:

And have donald duck serving the drinks.

dav2008 said:
That's actually what I meant by the first part of the sentence, in the sense of building a bar out of plexi and having the working bits above the surface.

wolram said:
And have donald duck serving the drinks.
Just because 'cocktails' got their name from originally being garnished with feathers is no reason to expect that I want any in mine. :tongue:

Fish + poop = organic swimming pool

JasonRox said:
My real question is...

Short answer - no.

Why not simply separate the fishpond from the pool, while keeping them adjacent for aesthetic purposes? Seems cheaper than any separating barrier.

Rach3 said:
Fish + poop = organic swimming pool

Some humans:uhh:

I don't see how one could ever get a clean system for human use in a "hole in the ground" application like a pond. Use of chlorine and other filtering strategies are only suited for systems that are self-contained units like a swimming pool or jacuzzi. The pond, being open to bacteria in the soil, air, etc, requires a much more complicated (and elegant) filtration/purification system. You'd be better off simply putting the two next to each other and appreciating them for the separate entities that they are.

A good observation, Doc, but I got the impression from the wording of the original question that the human part will be a construct rather than a simple hole. Since he said 'semi-jacuzzi', that rather implies to me that it will have walls and jets and filters and such. In fact, he could just cut one side out of commercial in-ground hot-tub and replace it with plexi, then dig the dirt away from that side to connect it to the pond. It wouldn't even have to be particularly strong as long as it's sealed properly; the water pressure should equalize more or less on both sides.

Danger said:
A good observation, Doc, but I got the impression from the wording of the original question that the human part will be a construct rather than a simple hole. Since he said 'semi-jacuzzi', that rather implies to me that it will have walls and jets and filters and such.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but then making the pond side more like aquarium type thing too. Not just a hole in the ground.

My observation was based on the two-way screen that was proposed to go between the "fish side" and the "human side". This would still facilitate exchange of unwanted material between the sides and not make either side a viable system. The plexi shield would technically work but what would it gain you? Most FW fish pond systems are plagued with algae problems which would hamper viewing and even if you could keep it clean entering the jacuzzi side is going to scare any fish away from the viewing port and turning on any water movement system is going to further obscure any underwater viewing. Plus the heat required to keep the jacuzzi comfortable for humans is going to be bad for fish. I have no problems with putting a sunken jacuzzi next to a pond, its sounds kinda fun, just keep them separate. Oh there's also the mousquito thing.

DocToxyn said:
My observation was based on the two-way screen that was proposed to go between the "fish side" and the "human side". This would still facilitate exchange of unwanted material between the sides and not make either side a viable system. The plexi shield would technically work but what would it gain you? Most FW fish pond systems are plagued with algae problems which would hamper viewing and even if you could keep it clean entering the jacuzzi side is going to scare any fish away from the viewing port and turning on any water movement system is going to further obscure any underwater viewing. Plus the heat required to keep the jacuzzi comfortable for humans is going to be bad for fish. I have no problems with putting a sunken jacuzzi next to a pond, its sounds kinda fun, just keep them separate. Oh there's also the mousquito thing.

The algae shouldn't be a problem on the plexiglass if we keep it clean like an aquarium.

Plus, it can be a double layered plexiglass to insulate the fish from heat.

Note: Mosquitoes will not be a problem if the aquarium can continuously be filtered.

I figured that the whole point of having the fish was to eat the mosquitos. :tongue:
I see where you're coming from, Doc. I'd already latched onto Hypatia's plexi idea as a 'given', so water isolation was assumed. And Jason is correct that a double-layer of plexi will thermally isolate the bodies of water. It will mess up the view a bit due to multiple refractive indices, but that isn't too much of a hardship.

Danger said:
I figured that the whole point of having the fish was to eat the mosquitos. :tongue:
I see where you're coming from, Doc. I'd already latched onto Hypatia's plexi idea as a 'given', so water isolation was assumed. And Jason is correct that a double-layer of plexi will thermally isolate the bodies of water. It will mess up the view a bit due to multiple refractive indices, but that isn't too much of a hardship.

Nice use of big words...I woulda said "it won't be clear" because I am an idiot. :biggrin:

Since you can obviously spell your own name correctly enough to log in, you're brighter than me.

I do not know what all the fuss is about, have you never swam in a river
or fresh water pool, when i was younger a group of us used to swim in the
old cement pits, deep excavations now filled with water, with no ill effects,
so dig the biggest hole you can fill with water and fish and enjoy.

I don't know exactly where Jason's friend lives, Woolie, but almost all communities in Canada have building codes and zoning bylaws that govern how such things are constructed. Unless it's a rural area, I can pretty much guarantee that some form of concrete, metal or plastic is required as a container. There might even be drainage guidelines on the books if it's an area subjected to heavy rains, so's to make sure that he doesn't flood out his neighbours. Whatever method was used to make the pond is apparently within the rules, so should be acceptable for the addition as well.

1. Can a pond/tub be built to accommodate both humans and fish?

Yes, it is possible to construct a pond or tub that can be used by both humans and fish. However, it will require careful planning and consideration of various factors such as size, depth, and filtration systems.

2. What materials are suitable for building a pond/tub for humans and fish?

The materials used will depend on the size and design of the pond/tub. Generally, materials such as concrete, fiberglass, and rubber liners are suitable for constructing a pond/tub that can be used by both humans and fish. It is important to ensure that the materials are safe for both humans and fish and do not contain any harmful chemicals.

3. How deep should a pond/tub be to accommodate both humans and fish?

The depth of the pond/tub will depend on the type of fish and the activities that will take place in the water. As a general rule, the depth should be at least 4 feet to provide enough space for the fish to swim and for humans to comfortably stand in the water. However, if you plan on diving or having larger fish, the depth should be deeper.

4. Do I need a filtration system for a pond/tub for humans and fish?

Yes, a filtration system is necessary for maintaining the water quality and ensuring the health of both humans and fish. The type and size of the filtration system will depend on the size and volume of the pond/tub. It is important to regularly clean and maintain the filtration system to keep the water clean and clear.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building a pond/tub for humans and fish?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when constructing a pond/tub for humans and fish. Some important precautions to consider include ensuring the depth is appropriate for swimming and diving, using non-toxic materials, and having a fence or barrier around the water for young children or pets. It is also important to regularly test the water quality and address any potential hazards promptly.