1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructing experiment to prove P=IV

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
    Not sure if the title is clear enough, but basically I've got a practical in a couple of days time and I have to construct an experiment to prove that P=IV by proving that P is greatest when the value of r (internal resistance) is zero and total resistance is equal to R (normal resistance).

I'm quite confused at what this is actually asking me to to do. Any ideas.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2009 #2
    Is this a real project or a virtual project? One accurate way to measure power is to heat a resistor in a calorimeter, and measure the energy transferred to a cup of water. Suppose you had a 12-volt car battery with an internal resistance with about r = 1/100 ohm. Get a R=1 ohm resistor and put it in about a cup (about 225 cc) of water, and connect it to the battery. Get a thermometer and measure the rate at which the water heats up. P = I*V = V^2/R = 144 watts. Only about 1% of the battery power is lost in the internal resistance r.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook