Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constructing experiment to prove P=IV

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
    Not sure if the title is clear enough, but basically I've got a practical in a couple of days time and I have to construct an experiment to prove that P=IV by proving that P is greatest when the value of r (internal resistance) is zero and total resistance is equal to R (normal resistance).

I'm quite confused at what this is actually asking me to to do. Any ideas.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2009 #2
    Is this a real project or a virtual project? One accurate way to measure power is to heat a resistor in a calorimeter, and measure the energy transferred to a cup of water. Suppose you had a 12-volt car battery with an internal resistance with about r = 1/100 ohm. Get a R=1 ohm resistor and put it in about a cup (about 225 cc) of water, and connect it to the battery. Get a thermometer and measure the rate at which the water heats up. P = I*V = V^2/R = 144 watts. Only about 1% of the battery power is lost in the internal resistance r.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook