1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foundations Construction of the Number Systems .. Natural, Integers, etc

1. Jul 17, 2017 #1
    At present I am trying to understand the construction of the number systems ... natural, integers, rationals and reals ...

What do members of PFs think is the clearest, most detailed, most rigorous and best treatment of number systems in a textbook or in online notes ... ?

NOTE: I am currently using Ethan D Bloch: "The Real Numbers and Real Analysis" ... ... where the coverage is detailed ... and proofs in particular are detailed and in full ... but some of the explanations are not particularly clear ... ...

Peter

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2017 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think most any analysis text will be sufficiently clear and rigorous. The only odd step is the filling out of the real numbers as Dedekind cuts on the set of all rational numbers.

Now an interesting approach which extends much further is Conway's "On Numbers and Games".

4. Jul 18, 2017 #3
    Thanks Jambaugh ... appreciate your help ...

Peter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted