The Well-Ordering Principle for the Natural Numbers ....

In summary, Ethan D. Bloch's book, The Real Numbers and Real Analysis, is dense and difficult to follow. He introduces a lot of new terminology and does not always provide a clear justification for his assumptions. He also uses a lot of incomplete induction, which can be difficult to follow.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Ethan D. Bloch's book: The Real Numbers and Real Analysis ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 1: Construction of the Real Numbers ...

I need help/clarification with an aspect of Theorem 1.2.10 ...

Theorem 1.2.10 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=caa4fb240ef7ae4b420c257b6a236690.png

?temp_hash=caa4fb240ef7ae4b420c257b6a236690.png

Towards the end (second last line) of the above proof by Bloch, we read the following:

" ... ... We now have a contradiction to the fact that no element such as ##a + 1## exists in ##G##. ... ... "
I do not understand this remark ... as above ##a + 1## has earlier been proved to belong to ##G## ..

Can someone explain the remark "We now have a contradiction to the fact that no element such as ##a + 1## exists in ##G##" in the context of the proof and explain just what is going on ... ...

Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Bloch - 1 - Theorem 1.2.10 - PART 1 ... ....png
    Bloch - 1 - Theorem 1.2.10 - PART 1 ... ....png
    32 KB · Views: 2,575
  • Bloch - 2 - Theorem 1.2.10 - PART 2 ... ....png
    Bloch - 2 - Theorem 1.2.10 - PART 2 ... ....png
    25.8 KB · Views: 780
Physics news on Phys.org
It is written in a very confusing way. Much too condensed, and no labelling of assumptions to allow justifications to be made clear.

The phrase 'no element such as ##a+1## exists in ##G##' is particularly obscure, because we have no idea what the 'such as' means. It looks like it was intended to mean 'a minimum element', but it did not say that. Also, it should have not referred to the assumption that ##G## has no minimum as a 'fact'. It is an assumption, not a fact.

The statement about the contradiction would be much more clearly written as follows:

'Since ##x## was chosen as an arbitrary element of ##G##, we conclude that every element of ##G## is greater than or equal to ##a+1##, yet ##a+1\in G##. That is, ##a+1## is a minimum element of ##G##. That contradicts our assumption in the first line of our proof that ##G## has no minimum element. Hence we must reject the assumption that there is no minimum element.'

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
Just a thought. Ugh -- More than 50 years ago I took an upper level analysis class. The students and the prof all agreed that the text was impenetrable, with lots of unnecessary impediments for students. The book was dictated by the Math Department at Maryland U. The prof then put a series of texts on reserve, and gave us an under the covers syllabus using those texts. Point being: it's okay to use lots of resources, just do what you need to learn.

Consider losing that text, and find another one that clicks for you. A university library will have lots and lots of textbooks at varying levels. I know you are trying the "see what book A, book B, and book C say about theorem X you found in book Q" approach, which can work. As long as you get that one author's (proof of a) theorem may be a definition for the next writer, you will be okay. They are not always logically congruent in the eyes of a student.

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
this is another example of why you should always try prove things yourself instead of reading them. This result follows from the so called principle of complete induction. I.e. if 1 is contained in a subset S of N, and if for every n ≥ 1, the assumption that all integers from 1 to n inclusive are contained in S forces also n+1 to be contained in S, then S = N.

Using this try to prove every non empty subset T of N has a least element, as follows: first case is that 1 lies in T, then we are done and 1 is the desired east element. 2nd case is that 1 does not lie in T, and then try proof by contradiction. i.e. assume that T does not have a least element, and try to prove T is empty. This is equivalent to proving that S = N-T is equal to N. try that using complete induction.

Likes Math Amateur

1. What is the Well-Ordering Principle for the Natural Numbers?

The Well-Ordering Principle states that every non-empty set of natural numbers has a least element. This means that for any set of natural numbers, there will always be a smallest number in the set.

2. How is the Well-Ordering Principle different from the Axiom of Choice?

The Well-Ordering Principle is a specific case of the more general Axiom of Choice, which states that for any collection of non-empty sets, it is possible to choose one element from each set. The Well-Ordering Principle only applies to the set of natural numbers, while the Axiom of Choice applies to any non-empty set.

3. Why is the Well-Ordering Principle important in mathematics?

The Well-Ordering Principle is important because it allows us to prove the existence of certain mathematical objects, such as the least common multiple of two natural numbers. It also serves as a foundation for many other mathematical principles and concepts.

4. Can the Well-Ordering Principle be used to prove the existence of infinite sets?

Yes, the Well-Ordering Principle can be used to prove the existence of infinite sets. For example, it can be used to show that the set of natural numbers is infinite by demonstrating that there is no largest natural number.

5. Is the Well-Ordering Principle a theorem or an axiom?

The Well-Ordering Principle is an axiom, meaning it is a fundamental assumption that is accepted without proof in a particular mathematical system. It is one of the axioms of the Peano axioms, which form the foundation of most modern theories of arithmetic.