The Well-Ordering Principle for the Natural Numbers

In summary, the last two lines of the proof by Ethan D. Bloch show that $a+1\in G$ and $a+1\le x$ for all $x\in G$, which contradicts the fact that $a+1\in G$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Ethan D. Bloch's book: The Real Numbers and Real Analysis ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 1: Construction of the Real Numbers ...

I need help/clarification with an aspect of Theorem 1.2.10 ...

Theorem 1.2.10 reads as follows:

View attachment 6980
View attachment 6981Towards the end (second last line) of the above proof by Bloch, we read the following:

" ... ... We now have a contradiction to the fact that no element such as \(\displaystyle a + 1\) exists in \(\displaystyle G\). ... ... "
I do not understand this remark ... as above \(\displaystyle a + 1\) has earlier been proved to belong to \(\displaystyle G\) ..

Can someone explain the remark "We now have a contradiction to the fact that no element such as \(\displaystyle a + 1\) exists in \(\displaystyle G\)" in the context of the proof and explain just what is going on ... ...

Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
The element of $G$ that is smaller than any other element of $G$ is called the least element. (Formally is should be "a least element", but it's easy to show that if a least element exists, then it is unique.) The theorem claims that every nonempty set of natural numbers has the least element. The proof is by contradiction, and the very first assumption made is that the least element does not exist. It is with this assumption that the last two lines of the proof derive a contradiction. Namely, the end of the proof shows that $a+1\in G$ and $a+1\le x$ for all $x\in G$, i.e., that $a+1$ is the least element, which does not exist by assumption.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The element of $G$ that is smaller than any other element of $G$ is called the least element. (Formally is should be "a least element", but it's easy to show that if a least element exists, then it is unique.) The theorem claims that every nonempty set of natural numbers has the least element. The proof is by contradiction, and the very first assumption made is that the least element does not exist. It is with this assumption that the last two lines of the proof derive a contradiction. Namely, the end of the proof shows that $a+1\in G$ and $a+1\le x$ for all $x\in G$, i.e., that $a+1$ is the least element, which does not exist by assumption.
Thanks for a very clear explanation Evgeny ...

i appreciate your help ...

Peter

What is the Well-Ordering Principle for the Natural Numbers?

The Well-Ordering Principle states that every non-empty subset of the natural numbers has a least element. This means that there is always a smallest number in any set of natural numbers, no matter how large or small the set may be.

Why is the Well-Ordering Principle important in mathematics?

The Well-Ordering Principle is important because it allows us to prove the existence of certain mathematical objects and their properties. It is also a fundamental principle in set theory and is used in many mathematical proofs.

How is the Well-Ordering Principle related to mathematical induction?

The Well-Ordering Principle is closely related to mathematical induction, as both concepts rely on the idea of a smallest element. In induction, we start with a base case and then use the Well-Ordering Principle to show that if a statement is true for a particular number, it must also be true for the next number.

Can the Well-Ordering Principle be applied to infinite sets?

Yes, the Well-Ordering Principle can be applied to infinite sets. In fact, it is often used to prove the existence of infinite sets, such as the set of all natural numbers or the set of all rational numbers.

Is the Well-Ordering Principle a theorem or an axiom?

The Well-Ordering Principle can be viewed as both a theorem and an axiom. As a theorem, it can be proven from other axioms and principles in mathematics. However, it can also be used as an axiom in certain mathematical systems to prove other theorems.