Constructive criticism on fiction

• Thread starter Pyrite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fiction
In summary, the speaker has been absent and has written a significant amount of fiction during this time. They decided to share it on Physicsforums for feedback. The link to the stories can be found at http://mildcompetence.myrmid.com/stories.html [Broken]. The speaker warns to ignore the stories under the "Dead Men" header. The speaker receives feedback on their writing style being reminiscent of Kafka, Theodore Sturgeon, and comic books, but is criticized for their poor grammar and advised to improve in order to be taken seriously by the publishing industry. When asked for more specific examples, the speaker seems surprised and asks for clarification.
Pyrite
Since I've been gone, I've written a sizable amount of fiction. today, i figured i could bring it to Physicsforums and see what people have to say about it. its at http://mildcompetence.myrmid.com/stories.html [Broken]
btw ignore the ones under the "Dead Men" header, as those arn't all that good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Pyrite
Since I've been gone, I've written a sizable amount of fiction. today, i figured i could bring it to Physicsforums and see what people have to say about it. its at http://mildcompetence.myrmid.com/stories.html [Broken]
btw ignore the ones under the "Dead Men" header, as those arn't all that good.

Your prose seems somewhat reminiscent of Kafka... or maybe Theodore Sturgeon... mixed with certain element of comic book action. However, I strongly criticize your atrocious grammar. Seriously, your ideas seem original, but you will need to make vast improvements in the area of language mechanics if you ever want to be taken seriously by the publishing industry.

eNtRopY

Last edited by a moderator:
This is news to me. Could you possibly be a bit more specific/give examples?

1. What is constructive criticism on fiction?

Constructive criticism on fiction is a form of feedback that highlights both the strengths and weaknesses of a piece of fiction, with the goal of helping the writer improve their work. It is meant to be specific, detailed, and helpful rather than just pointing out flaws.

2. How is constructive criticism different from regular criticism?

Regular criticism is often negative and focuses solely on pointing out flaws or shortcomings in a piece of fiction. Constructive criticism, on the other hand, is meant to be helpful and offer suggestions for improvement. It also takes into account the positive aspects of the work.

3. How can I give constructive criticism on fiction?

To give constructive criticism on fiction, it is important to first read the piece carefully and take notes on both the strengths and weaknesses. When providing feedback, be specific and offer suggestions for improvement rather than just pointing out flaws. It is also important to be respectful and considerate of the writer's feelings.

4. What are some examples of constructive criticism on fiction?

Examples of constructive criticism on fiction include pointing out areas where the plot could be strengthened, suggesting ways to improve character development, or offering feedback on the pacing or structure of the story. It could also involve providing specific examples or quotes to support your feedback.

5. How can constructive criticism benefit a writer?

Constructive criticism can benefit a writer by helping them identify areas of their writing that need improvement. By receiving specific feedback and suggestions for improvement, a writer can learn and grow as a storyteller. It can also help them gain a better understanding of their strengths as a writer.