Contact mechanics, elastic bedding

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of contact mechanics and the concept of "elastic bedding" in calculating the stresses in a ring mounted on a solid shaft. The differences in elastic properties between the ring and shaft are noted and the Hertzian contact theory is recommended for calculations. Further refinement can be made by considering the concept of elastic bedding and consulting additional resources for a better understanding.
ladil123
Contact mechanics, "elastic bedding"

Hello!

I need some help regarding my problem.
I have a solid shaft with a mounted ring on it. The has a higher E-modulus than the shaft.
A force F is acting downwards on the ring. As seen in the picture. The force could be assumed to be a point load if its easier than a even distributed one?

I want to calculate the circumferencial and radial stress that is acting in the ring due to the applied force and the fact that the shaft is either made of steel or cast iron which is softer than steel.
I want to make a pretty easy calculation of this, but I want the different lenghts to have an influence on the stress.

I have heard something about "elastic bedding" that takes the fact that the material beneth the ring is softer than the ring, but some contact mechanics could maybe do the trick?
I´ll need some help starting with this.

Thanks
Daniel

Attachments

• elastic bedding.jpg
    elastic bedding.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 422
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello Daniel,

As a scientist who specializes in contact mechanics, I can offer some guidance on your problem. Firstly, you are correct in considering the difference in E-modulus between the ring and the shaft. This will have a significant impact on the stress distribution in the ring.

To start, I would recommend using the Hertzian contact theory to calculate the stresses in the ring. This theory takes into account the elastic properties of both materials and the geometry of the contact area. It is commonly used in contact mechanics to analyze the stresses in a contact interface.

Additionally, you can consider using the concept of "elastic bedding" to further refine your calculations. This refers to the deformation of the softer material (in this case, the shaft) under the applied load, which can affect the stress distribution in the ring. By taking into account the elastic properties of both materials and the geometry of the contact, you can use this concept to make a more accurate calculation of the stresses in the ring.

I would recommend consulting a textbook or online resources on Hertzian contact theory and elastic bedding to get a better understanding of the calculations involved. You may also want to consider using a finite element analysis software to model the problem and obtain more precise results.

I hope this helps you get started on your calculations. Good luck!

- Scientist in Contact Mechanics

1. What is contact mechanics?

Contact mechanics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of the behavior of solid objects when they come into contact with each other. It involves the analysis of the forces and stresses that occur at the interface of two or more bodies in contact.

2. What is elastic bedding?

Elastic bedding refers to the use of elastic materials, such as rubber or foam, as a supportive layer between a surface and an object in order to distribute pressure and absorb impact. It is commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and construction, to provide cushioning and reduce wear and tear.

3. How does contact mechanics apply to elastic bedding?

Contact mechanics is essential in understanding the behavior and performance of elastic bedding. It helps determine the amount of pressure and deformation that occurs at the interface between the bedding and the object, and how this affects the overall stability and durability of the system.

4. What factors affect the contact mechanics of elastic bedding?

The properties of the elastic material, such as its stiffness and resilience, play a significant role in the contact mechanics of elastic bedding. Other factors include the geometry and surface roughness of the objects in contact, the applied load and contact area, and the environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity.

5. How is contact mechanics of elastic bedding studied?

Contact mechanics of elastic bedding is typically studied through experimental testing and theoretical analysis. Various testing methods, such as indentation and compression tests, are used to measure the forces and stresses at the interface. Theoretical models and computer simulations are also used to predict and analyze the behavior of the bedding under different conditions.