Integral ## \int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3+1}}dx ##

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining the descending factorials for a hypergeometric series using gamma functions and solving a differential equation using Frobenius' method. The conversation also mentions recognizing the power series as a solution to the hypergeometric differential equation. The conversation ends with a discussion on how to obtain p(x) and q(x) in the equation for solving the ODE.
Tapias5000
Homework Statement
These types of problems have been a mystery to me.
According to wolfram this ends in the function ## _2F1(a,b;c;z) ##
but how?
Relevant Equations
## _2F1(a,b;c;z)=\sum _{n=0}^∞\frac{\left(a\right)_n\left(b\right)_n}{\left(c\right)_n}=1+\frac{abz}{c1!}+\frac{a\left(a+1\right)b\left(b+1\right)z^2}{c\left(c+1\right)2!}+... ##
I also don't understand how to get the descending factorials for this hypergeometric series, I also know that there is another way to write it with gamma functions, but in any case how am I supposed to do this?
If I write it as a general term, wolfram will give me the result

gif&s=15.gif

which leaves me even more puzzled since I do not understand where a, b and c are
Could you tell me where to start? or where you should keep looking for information.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Set [itex]I = \int 1/\sqrt{1 + x^a}\,dx[/itex] and find [itex]p(x)[/itex] and [itex]q(x)[/itex] such that [tex]
\frac{d^2I}{dx^2} + p(x)\frac{dI}{dx} + q(x)I = 0.[/tex] Then solve this ODE using Frobenius' Method to get a power series, which you then need to recognise as the power series of whatever Wolfram told you the integral is. Or recognise that setting [itex]I(x) = xf(-x^a)[/itex] leads to [itex]f[/itex] satisfying the hypergeometric differential equation,[tex]
z(1-z)f'' + (c - (a + b + 1)z)f' - abf = 0.[/tex] (Note that the expression given by wolfram can be further simplified to [itex](x/\sqrt{n}){}_2F_1(\dots)[/itex].)

Likes Tapias5000 and anuttarasammyak
pasmith said:
Set [itex]I = \int 1/\sqrt{1 + x^a}\,dx[/itex] and find [itex]p(x)[/itex] and [itex]q(x)[/itex] such that [tex]
\frac{d^2I}{dx^2} + p(x)\frac{dI}{dx} + q(x)I = 0.[/tex] Then solve this ODE using Frobenius' Method to get a power series, which you then need to recognise as the power series of whatever Wolfram told you the integral is. Or recognise that setting [itex]I(x) = xf(-x^a)[/itex] leads to [itex]f[/itex] satisfying the hypergeometric differential equation,[tex]
z(1-z)f'' + (c - (a + b + 1)z)f' - abf = 0.[/tex] (Note that the expression given by wolfram can be further simplified to [itex](x/\sqrt{n}){}_2F_1(\dots)[/itex].)
How do I obtain p (x) and q (x) ?, I had done similar exercises but in that case I did it from the solution already given ...
oh i got to solve the edo
## \frac{d^2I}{dx^2}+\frac{dI}{dx}+I=0 ##
and then replace?

Tapias5000 said:
How do I obtain p (x) and q (x) ?, I had done similar exercises but in that case I did it from the solution already given ...
oh i got to solve the edo
## \frac{d^2I}{dx^2}+\frac{dI}{dx}+I=0 ##
and then replace?
what I did was the following, even though I am sure this is incorrect.
## I=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^a}} ##

## \frac{dI}{dx}=-\frac{ax^{a-1}}{2\left(1+x^a\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}},\ \ \frac{d^2I}{dx^2}=-\frac{ax^{a-2}\left(-ax^a-2x^a+2a-2\right)}{4\left(x^a+1\right)^{\frac{5}{2}}} ##

## \frac{d^2I}{dx^2}+p\left(x\right)\frac{dI}{dx}+q\left(x\right)I=0 ##

## -\frac{ax^{a-2}\left(-ax^a-2x^a+2a-2\right)}{4\left(x^a+1\right)^{\frac{5}{2}}}-p\left(x\right)\frac{ax^{a-1}}{2\left(1+x^a\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}+q\left(x\right)\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^a}}=0 ##

## p\left(x\right)=\frac{-ax^a-2x^a+2a-2}{2\left(x^a+1\right)x}+q\left(x\right)\frac{2\left(1+x^a\right)}{ax^{a-1}} ##

## -\frac{ax^{a-2}\left(-ax^a-2x^a+2a-2\right)}{4\left(x^a+1\right)^{\frac{5}{2}}}-\left(\frac{-ax^a-2x^a+2a-2}{2\left(x^a+1\right)x}+q\left(x\right)\frac{2\left(1+x^a\right)}{ax^{a-1}}\right)\frac{ax^{a-1}}{2\left(1+x^a\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}+q\left(x\right)\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^a}}=0 ##

I doubt this is the way ...

Hint: if [itex]f = g(x)^\beta[/itex] then [tex]
\frac{df}{dx} = \beta g(x)^{\beta - 1} \frac{dg}{dx}= \left(\frac{\beta}{g(x)}\frac{dg}{dx}\right)f.[/tex]

Likes Tapias5000
pasmith said:
Hint: if [itex]f = g(x)^\beta[/itex] then [tex]
\frac{df}{dx} = \beta g(x)^{\beta - 1} \frac{dg}{dx}= \left(\frac{\beta}{g(x)}\frac{dg}{dx}\right)f.[/tex]
Where did you get the last equation from?

## \left(\frac{\beta}{g(x)}\frac{dg}{dx}\right)f ##

@pasmith I tried another approach obtaining the following, I do not know if it is correct

\begin{array}{l}\int_{ }^{ }\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3+1}}dx\\

\int_{ }^{ }\left(x^3+1\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}dx\\

\left(1+u\right)^R\ \ \left[u=x^3,\ R=-\frac{1}{2}\right]\\

f\left(u\right)=\left(1+u\right)^R\\

f^{\prime}\left(u\right)=R\left(1+u\right)^{R-1}\\

f^{\prime\prime}\left(u\right)=R\left(R-1\right)\left(1+u\right)^{R-2}\\

f^{\prime\prime\prime}\left(u\right)=R\left(R-1\right)\left(R-2\right)\left(1+u\right)^{R-3}\\

f^{\prime\prime\prime\prime}\left(u\right)=R\left(R-1\right)\left(R-2\right)\left(R-3\right)\left(1+u\right)^{R-4}\\

f^n\left(u\right)=\left(R\right)_n\left(1+u\right)^{R-n}\ \ ,\ \left[R<0\right]\\

f\left(0\right)=1\\

f^{\prime}\left(0\right)=R\\

f^{\prime\prime}\left(0\right)=R\left(R-1\right)\\

f^{\prime\prime\prime}\left(0\right)=R\left(R-1\right)\left(R-2\right)\\

f^{\prime\prime\prime\prime}\left(u\right)=R\left(R-1\right)\left(R-2\right)\left(R-3\right)\\

f^n\left(0\right)=\left(R\right)_n\ \left[R<0\right]\\

\frac{f\left(0\right)}{0!}+\frac{f^{\prime}\left(0\right)u}{1!}+\frac{f^{\prime\prime}\left(0\right)u^2}{2!}+\frac{f^{\prime\prime\prime}\left(0\right)u^3}{3!}+\frac{f^{\prime\prime\prime\prime}\left(0\right)u^4}{4!}+...\frac{f^n\left(0\right)u^n}{n!}\\

1+\frac{Rx}{1!}+\frac{R\left(R-1\right)x^2}{2!}+\frac{R\left(R-1\right)\left(R-2\right)x^3}{3!}+\frac{R\left(R-1\right)\left(R-2\right)\left(R-3\right)x^4}{4!}+...\frac{\left(R\right)_nu^n}{n!}\ \ \left[u=x^3,\ R=-\frac{1}{2}\right]\\

1-\frac{x}{2\cdot1!}+\frac{3x^2}{2^2\cdot2!}-\frac{1\left(3\right)\left(5\right)x^3}{2^33!}+\frac{1\left(3\right)\left(5\right)\left(7\right)x^4}{2^44!}\ +...\frac{-\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)_nx^{3n}}{n!}\\

\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{\left(R\right)_nu^n}{n!}\ \ \left[u=x^3,\ R=-\frac{1}{2}\right]\\

\int_{ }^{ }\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{-\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)_nx^{3n}}{n!}dx...\ ?\end{array}

This is what I have been able to advance, I am concerned if the declining factor of 4/3 is actually correct ...
1639675339376.png

Attachments

• 1639675297318.png
    1639675297318.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 84

1. What is the purpose of the integral ## \int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3+1}}dx ##?

The purpose of this integral is to find the area under the curve of the function ## \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3+1}} ## between the given limits of integration.

2. How do I solve the integral ## \int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3+1}}dx ##?

This integral can be solved using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. It is important to choose the appropriate method based on the given function and limits of integration.

3. What are the limits of integration for the integral ## \int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3+1}}dx ##?

The limits of integration for this integral can vary depending on the specific problem. They are typically given in the form of a and b, where a is the lower limit and b is the upper limit.

4. Can the integral ## \int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3+1}}dx ## be evaluated using a calculator?

Yes, this integral can be evaluated using a calculator or a computer program. However, it is important to note that the result may not always be exact, as it depends on the accuracy of the calculator or program.

5. What are some real-life applications of the integral ## \int _{ }^{ }\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^3+1}}dx ##?

This integral has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force, the velocity of a particle under the influence of a force, or the area under a demand curve in economics.