1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity and Polar Coordinates

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the function f(x,y)= xy/sqrt(x^2+y^2) is continuous at the origin using polar coordinates. f(x,y)=0 if (x,y)=(0,0)

2. Relevant equations
    r=sqrt(x^2+y^2)
    x=rcos(theta)
    y=rsin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, converting this equation to polar coordinates, I get rsin(theta)cos(theta). However, after this I'm stumped as to how I prove that this is continuous at the origin.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

At the origin in polar coordinates (r,θ), shouldn't r=0 and θ=0 ?

4. Jul 21, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not exactly- at the origin r= 0 and [itex]\theta[/itex] is undefined.

However, Schmidt7100, the point is that r alone measures the distance of a point from the origin- [itex]\theta[/itex] is irrelevant. That means that, if [itex]\lim_{r\to 0}f(r,\theta)[/itex] does not depend on [itex]\theta[/itex], then that is the limit of [itex]f(r, \theta)[/itex] as [itex](r, \theta)[/itex] goes to the origin.

Note that is NOT the case for Cartesian coordinates. Since the distance from (x, y) to (0, 0) depends upon both x and y. I am sure you have seen examples of functions in (x, y) that give different limits as you go to (0, 0) along different paths.

5. Jul 21, 2010 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

You don't have to use polar co-ordinates, let
    [tex]
    x_{n}=\frac{1}{n},\quad y_{n}=\frac{1}{n}
    [/tex]
    Insert these into your equation for f and let [tex]n\rightarrow\infty[/tex], compute the limit and if it's the same as f(0,0) you've proved continuity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook