1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity equation from Stress-Energy tensor

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    It is true that [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x^\beta} T^{0 \beta} = \gamma^2 c \left( \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \vec{\nabla} \bullet \left[ \rho \vec{v} \right] \right) = 0 [/tex]

but, how do we arrive at this point?

What is in [tex] T^{ \alpha \beta} [/tex]

and how do we compute it for any alpha? I'm sorry if this is a no brainer. I missed some critical lectures.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

That T you've got there is the energy momentum tensor. In your case, it is the energy momentum tensor for non-interacting dus,

[tex]
    T^{\mu\nu} = \rho_{0}\frac{dx^{\mu}}{d\tau}\frac{dx^{\nu}}{d\tau}
    [/tex]

Why this conservation is true, is another story. In the classical case, it can be derived from Noether's theorem. In the general relativistic case, the conservation is a consequence of something called diffemorphism invariance.

I recommend you to take a look at the book of Inverno about general relativity, chapter 12 ( .1,2,3). There it is all explained :)

4. Sep 17, 2008 #3
    thanks for the reply, but I can't find that book, is Inverno the author?

5. Sep 18, 2008 #4

atyy

Science Advisor

haushofer probably means d'Inverno (Introducing Einstein's Relativity)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?