Is this function continuous in its domain?

In summary: In the case of the function f, the graph has a break point at x=2. Therefore, the function is not continuous on the real numbers between x=1 and x=2.
Himanshu
I encountered the following problem in the defination of 'continuity of a function'.

We check the continuity of a function in its domain.

Consider a function f defined by f(x)=(x^2-4)/(x-2).

Its domain is R-{2}. i.e. the continuity of the function will be checked in R-{2}. The function is obviously continuous in its domain. Therefore can we say that the function f is continous.

Or does the function posesses removable discontinuity at x=2.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    5.2 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Himanshu said:

Homework Statement

I encountered the following problem in the defination of 'continuity of a function' :

DEF- 'Function f is said to be continuous on an interval I if f is continuous at each point x in I.'

Consider a function f defined by f(x)= [tex]\frac{x^2-4}{x-2}. Its domain is R-{2}. i.e. the continuity of the function will be checked in R-{2}. The function is obviously continuous in its domain. Therefore can we say that the function f is continous.

Or does the function posesses removable discontinuity at x=2.

What does saying that f is continuous on its domain have to do with 'continuous on an interval' which is what the definition you give says. In this case, the domain of the function is not an interval. Yes, this functions has a removable discontinuity at x= 2.

I have corrected my post. Please have a look at it again.

Yes, it is true that f(x)= [tex]\frac{x^2- 4}{x- 2}[/tex] is "continuous on its domain".

It is not, however, "continuous on the real numbers" nor is it continuous on any interval that includes 2.

Ok.

If I plot the graph of f it will have a break at x=2. By looking at the graph what do we get to know about the continuity of a function.

I mean to say that if a graph of any function has break points then is the function continuous or non-continous .

Heuristically, a function is said to be continuous on some domain iff you can draw its graph with a pen without lifting the pen from the page.

FAQ: Is this function continuous in its domain?

What is the definition of continuity for a function?

The definition of continuity for a function states that a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the graph of the function at that point.

What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are two related but distinct concepts. A function is continuous if it has no jumps or breaks in its graph, while a function is differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at each point. In other words, continuity is a necessary condition for differentiability, but differentiability is not a necessary condition for continuity.

How can you determine if a function is continuous?

To determine if a function is continuous, you can use the three-part definition of continuity: 1) the function must be defined at the point in question, 2) the limit of the function at that point must exist, and 3) the limit must be equal to the value of the function at that point. If all three conditions are met, then the function is continuous at that point.

What types of functions are always continuous?

Polynomial, rational, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions are all continuous for all real numbers. This means that these types of functions have no jumps or breaks in their graphs and are continuous at every point in their domain.

How can continuity be used in real-life applications?

Continuity is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, the concept of continuity is used in modeling the motion of objects, determining the optimal production level for a company, and analyzing the behavior of financial markets.

Back