Continuity of Complex Functions .... ....

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding Lemma 2.4 and its proof in Bruce P. Palka's book, specifically about the equation (2.7) and the calculation of $\text{Arg}\: z$ for a given $z$. The question includes a reflection on the calculation and a request for an explanation on why there may be question marks concerning the continuity of $\theta$ in the domain $D$ only at points of the imaginary axis. The expert concludes by providing a clear explanation for the question and expressing gratitude for the help received.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Bruce P. Palka's book: An Introduction to Complex Function Theory ...

I am focused on Chapter 2: The Rudiments of Plane Topology ...

I need help with some aspects of the proof of Lemma 2.4 ... Lemma 2.4 and its proof reads as follows:
View attachment 7358
View attachment 7359
My questions are as follows:

Question 1

In the above text from Palka Ch.2 we read in equation (2.7) that \(\displaystyle \theta (z) = - \pi - \alpha (z)\) ... ... if \(\displaystyle x \lt 0\) and \(\displaystyle y \lt 0\) ...

Now \(\displaystyle x \lt 0\) and \(\displaystyle y \lt 0\) seems to give us an angle \(\displaystyle \alpha\) in the third quadrant of the complex plane ... but \(\displaystyle ( \ - \pi - \alpha (z) \ )\) seems to give an angle in the second quadrant as we "wind both \(\displaystyle \pi\) and \(\displaystyle \alpha\) in the clockwise direction from the positive \(\displaystyle x\)-axis ... " ... so how do we get an angle in the third quadrant? ... unless it has to do with \(\displaystyle y\) being negative making \(\displaystyle \alpha\) negative ... so that \(\displaystyle - \alpha\) is positive ... ?

Can someone explain how \(\displaystyle \theta (z) = - \pi - \alpha (z)\) ... ... for \(\displaystyle x \lt 0\) and \(\displaystyle y \lt 0\) ...?***EDIT***

I have been reflecting on this question ... and have done an example calculation ... calculating \(\displaystyle \text{ Arg } z\) for \(\displaystyle z = - \sqrt{3} - i\) ... see Example calculation in the notes after the post ..

Question 2

In the above text from Palka we read the following:

" ... ... so question marks concerning the continuity of \(\displaystyle \theta\) in \(\displaystyle D\) occur only at points of the imaginary axis ... ... "Can someone please explain exactly why question marks concerning the continuity of \(\displaystyle \theta\) in \(\displaystyle D\) occur only at points of the imaginary axis ...?
Help will be appreciated ...

Peter===============================================================================

NOTES

NOTE 1

The above post refers to \(\displaystyle \alpha\) as defined in (2.6) ... ... Equation (2.6) occurs in the remarks/discussion preceding Lemma 2.4 so I am providing the relevant part of this discussion ...View attachment 7360
NOTE 2

See my calculation of \(\displaystyle \text{ Arg } z \) for \(\displaystyle z = - \sqrt{3} - i \) ... ... as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7361Note that there is a simple (copying) error in the above ...

Should be

\(\displaystyle -u = \frac{ \pi }{6}\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore u = - \frac{ \pi }{6}\)

Apologies ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
... so how do we get an angle in the third quadrant? ... unless it has to do with \(\displaystyle y\) being negative making \(\displaystyle \alpha\) negative ... so that \(\displaystyle - \alpha\) is positive ... ?

I have been reflecting on this question ... and have done an example calculation ... calculating \(\displaystyle \text{ Arg } z\) for \(\displaystyle z = - \sqrt{3} - i\) ... see Example calculation in the notes after the post ..
You are correct on both counts. The definition of $\text{Arcsin}$ specifies that its domain is $[-1,1]$ and its range is $[-\pi/2,\pi/2]$. If $x$ (in that domain) is negative then so is $\text{Arcsin}\: x$. So the definition of $\alpha(z)$ ensures that if $y$ is negative then so is $\alpha(z)$.

Your calculation for $z = -\sqrt3 - i$ gives the correct result $\text{Arg}\: z = -\frac{5\pi}6$.

Peter said:
Can someone please explain exactly why question marks concerning the continuity of \(\displaystyle \theta\) in \(\displaystyle D\) occur only at points of the imaginary axis ...?
It should be clear from the definition that $\theta$ is continuous in the interior of each quadrant, and also on the positive real axis. It is discontinuous on the negative real axis (because it jumps between $-\pi$ and $\pi$ as it crosses the negative real axis). That only leaves the imaginary axis to deal with.

Opalg said:
You are correct on both counts. The definition of $\text{Arcsin}$ specifies that its domain is $[-1,1]$ and its range is $[-\pi/2,\pi/2]$. If $x$ (in that domain) is negative then so is $\text{Arcsin}\: x$. So the definition of $\alpha(z)$ ensures that if $y$ is negative then so is $\alpha(z)$.

Your calculation for $z = -\sqrt3 - i$ gives the correct result $\text{Arg}\: z = -\frac{5\pi}6$.It should be clear from the definition that $\theta$ is continuous in the interior of each quadrant, and also on the positive real axis. It is discontinuous on the negative real axis (because it jumps between $-\pi$ and $\pi$ as it crosses the negative real axis). That only leaves the imaginary axis to deal with.
Thanks Opalg ... really appreciate your help...

Peter

What is continuity of a complex function?

Continuity of a complex function refers to its ability to maintain its value as the input approaches a particular point on the complex plane. In other words, the function does not have any sudden jumps or breaks in its output when the input is close to a certain value.

What is the difference between continuity and differentiability of a complex function?

Continuity and differentiability are closely related concepts in complex analysis. Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, while differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a given point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, but if a function is differentiable, it must also be continuous.

What are the conditions for a complex function to be continuous?

A complex function is continuous if it satisfies the following conditions:

1. The function is defined and exists at the point in question.
  2. The limit of the function as the input approaches the point exists.
  3. The limit and the value of the function at the point are equal.

How is continuity of a complex function tested?

The continuity of a complex function can be tested using the epsilon-delta definition or the sequential criterion. The epsilon-delta definition states that for every ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that if the distance between the input and the point in question is less than δ, then the distance between the output and the value of the function at that point is less than ε. The sequential criterion states that for every sequence of inputs that converges to the point in question, the corresponding sequence of outputs converges to the value of the function at that point.

What is the importance of continuity in complex analysis?

Continuity is a fundamental concept in complex analysis as it allows us to study the behavior of a function at a particular point and make conclusions about its global behavior. It also allows us to define and study important properties of complex functions, such as differentiability and integrability. In practical applications, continuity is crucial in ensuring the accuracy and stability of calculations involving complex functions.