1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of exponential functions (epsilon-delta)

1. Nov 27, 2006 #1
    Here is the question:
    --------
    Show the following: Let a>0 be a real number, then f:R->R defined by [itex]f(x) = a^x[/itex] is continuous.
    -----------

First we have the following definitions of continuity:
    ----------
    Let X be a subset of R, let f:X->R be a function, and let [itex]x_0[/itex] be an element of X. Then the following three statements are logically equivalent:

(a) f is continuous at [itex]x_0[/itex]

(b) For every sequence [itex](a_{n})_{n=0}^{\infty}[/itex] consisting of elements of X with [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}a_{n} = x_0 [/itex], we have [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}f(a_n) = f(x_0)[/itex]

(c) For every [itex] \epsilon > 0[/itex] there exists a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that [itex]|f(x) - f(x_0)| < \epsilon [/itex] for all x in X with [itex]|x - x_0| < \delta[/itex]

---------

I thought the best way to do this would be to use the epsilon-delta definition, since I really could not think of anything with the sequences (contradiction, maybe?).

So now the question is, what do we make delta. Clearly delta must depend on epsilon and on a (and I think on [itex]x_0[/itex]). What I tried was the following, but it does not look pretty:

Let [itex]x_0[/itex] be some point in R. Our function is increasing, so I said that if we look at [itex]x_0 - \delta[/itex] and [itex]x_0 + \delta[/itex] then we want to show the following: [itex]|max(a^{x_0 - \delta},a^{x_0 + \delta}) - a^{x_0}| < \epsilon[/itex] I then factored out the [itex]a^{x_0}[/itex] and started moving things around to get delta in terms of a,epsilon, and [itex]x_0[/itex], but it did not really work out, and I am not sure where to go from here.

Any ideas? Thanks!

edit... I think I remember hearing something about showing that it is continuous for some explicit point (like x = 0) and then reducing every other case (meaning every other value x can take on) to the same case of x = 0, thus showing continuity. Would this be sufficient (I think so), and would that be a good way to solve this exercise?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Start by showing a^x is continuous as a function from the rationals to the reals. How is a^x defined when x is irrational?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?