Continuity Proof: Q about Inequality 0≤(x-y^2)^2

In summary, the conversation is about a proof for a problem that involves an inequality. The person asking the question is confused about why every proof starts with the assumption 0≤(x-y^2)^2. They ask for an explanation and the response is that it was probably noticed through experience and observation. The person providing the response also mentions another approach to finding a bound if the first method is not noticed.
gajohnson

Homework Statement

The problem statement and proof can be found here. The proof continues after this, but I only have a question about the beginning of the proof.

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is simply this:

Every proof I find for this problem starts assuming the inequality [itex]0≤(x-y^2)^2[/itex] and I cannot figure out why. I'm sure this is a simple matter, but any explanation would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
gajohnson said:
Every proof I find for this problem starts assuming the inequality [itex]0≤(x-y^2)^2[/itex] and I cannot figure out why. I'm sure this is a simple matter, but any explanation would be appreciated.
The square of a real number can't be negative, right?

jbunniii said:
The square of a real number can't be negative, right?

Yes, indeed, I see that it works. But was this first step just conjured out of experience and a keen eye, or did something in the problem suggest it specifically?

Thanks!

gajohnson said:
Yes, indeed, I see that it works. But was this first step just conjured out of experience and a keen eye, or did something in the problem suggest it specifically?
Probably experience and a keen eye. If you play around with inequalities often enough, you start to recognize things like the fact that the numerator of
$$\frac{xy^2}{x^2 + y^4}$$
can be used to "complete the square" in the denominator, i.e.
$$x^2 + y^4 + 2xy^2 = (x + y^2)^2$$
and
$$x^2 + y^4 - 2xy^2 = (x - y^2)^2$$
If you don't notice this trick, there are usually other ways to find a bound.

Related to Continuity Proof: Q about Inequality 0≤(x-y^2)^2

1. What is the purpose of a continuity proof?

A continuity proof is used to show that a function is continuous at a specific point or over a certain interval. This is important in mathematics and science because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values.

2. How do you prove continuity using inequalities?

To prove continuity using inequalities, we need to show that for any small change in the input, there is a small change in the output. In other words, we need to show that the function values do not change significantly as the input values change slightly. This can be done by using the definition of continuity and manipulating the given inequality to show that the function values remain within a certain range.

3. Why is the inequality 0≤(x-y^2)^2 used in continuity proofs?

The inequality 0≤(x-y^2)^2 is commonly used in continuity proofs because it allows us to control the difference between the function values and the input values. It also helps us to show that the function values do not change drastically as the input values change slightly, which is a key requirement for continuity.

4. What is the importance of the inequality 0≤(x-y^2)^2 in mathematics?

The inequality 0≤(x-y^2)^2 has many applications in mathematics, including in continuity proofs. It is also used in optimization problems, quadratic equations, and in proving the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. In general, it is a useful tool in manipulating and analyzing mathematical expressions.

5. Is the inequality 0≤(x-y^2)^2 always true?

No, the inequality 0≤(x-y^2)^2 is not always true. It is dependent on the values of x and y. For example, if x = 2 and y = 3, then the inequality becomes -1≤(2-3^2)^2, which is not true. However, in many cases, this inequality holds and is useful in proving continuity and other mathematical concepts.