Continuous and Disc. functions

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the concepts of continuity and discontinuity, with two assignments for a class being used as examples. The first problem involves set A, where f(x) is discontinuous on A but continuous on its complement. The second problem involves set B, where g(x) is discontinuous on B but continuous on its complement. The conversation also includes a discussion about problem points and using reasoning to determine continuity or discontinuity at those points.
Unassuming
I am trying to understand continuous and discontinuous. These are two assignments I have for a class. I am just looking for some feedback...

Let A= {1/n : n is natural}

Then, f(x)= (x , if x in A)
(0 , if x not in A)

This is discontinuous on A but continuous on A complement?

Let B = { x : 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x < 1 }

Then, g(x) = (1-x , 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x<1 and x is rational)
(0 , otherwise)

And this is discontinuous on B but continuous on B complement?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you just guessing? For the first one, 0 is in A complement. Is f continuous at 0? For the second one, maybe. But why do you think so? You should give reasons as well as just a guess at the answer.

Unassuming said:
I am trying to understand continuous and discontinuous. These are two assignments I have for a class. I am just looking for some feedback...

Let A= {1/n : n is natural}

Then, f(x)= (x , if x in A)
(0 , if x not in A)

This is discontinuous on A but continuous on A complement?

Let B = { x : 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x < 1 }

Then, g(x) = (1-x , 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x<1 and x is rational)
(0 , otherwise)

And this is discontinuous on B but continuous on B complement?

I think that the problem point for set A is 0. I believe that f(x) is continuous there because I drew an epsilon in my mind around f(x) on the y-axis and imagined that I could find a delta such that not only the (x not in A) values would map into it (obviously) but that I could choose delta such that the 1/n values were far enough down, and thus in the epsilon N. I hope I am right on this. The problem points are hard to figure out.

With B I am using the same reasoning. This time though we have discontinuous at x=0 because the f(x) values are at value 1 while there are always values in your delta N such that f(x)=0. But at x=1, f(x) is getting as close as we want it to get to f(x)=0.

Now that you've explained your reasoning, I feel better better about agreeing with you. I think that's right.

1. What is the difference between continuous and discontinuous functions?

Continuous functions are those that have a continuous graph, meaning there are no breaks or interruptions. Discontinuous functions, on the other hand, have discontinuities in their graph, such as holes, jumps, or asymptotes.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous or discontinuous?

A function is considered continuous if it satisfies the three conditions of continuity: it is defined at every point in its domain, the limit of the function exists at every point in its domain, and the limit at each point is equal to the value of the function at that point. If any of these conditions are not met, the function is considered discontinuous.

3. Can a function be both continuous and discontinuous?

No, a function cannot be both continuous and discontinuous. A function is either continuous or it is not, there is no in-between. However, a function can have both continuous and discontinuous parts, depending on how it is defined.

4. What is a removable discontinuity?

A removable discontinuity, also known as a hole, is a type of discontinuity where the function is undefined at a certain point, but can be made continuous by filling in the hole with a single point. This point is usually represented by a small circle on the graph.

5. How do you find the points of discontinuity in a function?

To find the points of discontinuity in a function, you can start by looking for any points where the function is undefined, such as division by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. You can also check for any breaks or jumps in the graph, as these are also indicators of discontinuities. Finally, you can use the definition of continuity to check for any points where the limit of the function does not equal the value of the function at that point.