1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuous and Disc. functions

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    I am trying to understand continuous and discontinuous. These are two assignments I have for a class. I am just looking for some feedback...

Let A= {1/n : n is natural}

Then, f(x)= (x , if x in A)
    (0 , if x not in A)

This is discontinuous on A but continuous on A complement?

Let B = { x : 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x < 1 }

Then, g(x) = (1-x , 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x<1 and x is rational)
    (0 , otherwise)

And this is discontinuous on B but continuous on B complement?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you just guessing? For the first one, 0 is in A complement. Is f continuous at 0? For the second one, maybe. But why do you think so? You should give reasons as well as just a guess at the answer.

4. Nov 20, 2008 #3

I think that the problem point for set A is 0. I believe that f(x) is continuous there because I drew an epsilon in my mind around f(x) on the y-axis and imagined that I could find a delta such that not only the (x not in A) values would map into it (obviously) but that I could choose delta such that the 1/n values were far enough down, and thus in the epsilon N. I hope I am right on this. The problem points are hard to figure out.

With B I am using the same reasoning. This time though we have discontinuous at x=0 because the f(x) values are at value 1 while there are always values in your delta N such that f(x)=0. But at x=1, f(x) is getting as close as we want it to get to f(x)=0.

5. Nov 20, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now that you've explained your reasoning, I feel better better about agreeing with you. I think that's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?