Continuous Charge Distributions

In summary, the problem involves a charge on a string with a uniform charge density of 9.00 nC/m stretched from x = 0 to x = 3.00 m on the x-axis. The goal is to find the magnitude of the electric field at x = 8.00 m on the x-axis using the given equations and attempt at a solution. The issue was with the units for λ, which resulted in an incorrect answer.
WarpSpeedo

Homework Statement

A charge lies on a string that is stretched along an x-axis from x = 0 to x = 3.00 m; the charge density on the string is a uniform 9.00 nC/m. Determine the magnitude of the electric field at x = 8.00 m on the x axis.

Homework Equations

[itex]
\int_0^3 kλ/(8-x)^2\,dx
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

k=8.99e9
λ=9

I know k and λ can come out of the integral leaving 1/(8-x^2). which gives me 9.44e-10 which webassign marks wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your set-up looks fine, but I don't get anything close to the numerical answer you're getting.

WarpSpeedo said:

The Attempt at a Solution

k=8.99e9
λ=9

I know k and λ can come out of the integral leaving 1/(8-x^2). which gives me 9.44e-10 which webassign marks wrong.

Are you thinking about the units for λ?

Problem was the units for λ. Thanks for your help

I would like to point out that the attempted solution is missing the units for the charge density (nC/m). Additionally, the integral should be taken from x=0 to x=8.00 m, as the electric field at x=8.00 m is influenced by the entire length of the string. Furthermore, the attempted solution does not take into account the fact that the charge distribution on the string is continuous, meaning that the charge is not just located at specific points but is spread out along the entire length of the string. To properly solve this problem, one would need to use the formula for the electric field due to a continuous charge distribution, which takes into account the charge density and the distance from the point of interest. It is always important to carefully consider the given information and use the appropriate equations and units when solving scientific problems.

What is a continuous charge distribution?

A continuous charge distribution is a concept in physics that refers to a distribution of electric charge over a continuous region of space. This means that the charge is spread out over an area or volume, rather than being concentrated at specific points.

How is a continuous charge distribution different from a discrete charge distribution?

A discrete charge distribution consists of a finite number of discrete point charges, whereas a continuous charge distribution is made up of an infinite number of infinitesimal charges. In other words, a continuous distribution is a more precise and realistic model of real-world objects, while a discrete distribution is a simplified approximation.

What is the mathematical representation of a continuous charge distribution?

The mathematical representation of a continuous charge distribution is given by the charge density function, which describes how the charge is distributed over the region of space. This function can take on different forms depending on the shape and size of the charge distribution, such as uniform, spherical, or cylindrical.

How is the electric field calculated for a continuous charge distribution?

The electric field at a point in space due to a continuous charge distribution can be calculated by using the principle of superposition, which states that the electric field at a point is equal to the vector sum of the electric fields due to each infinitesimal charge element in the distribution. This can be represented mathematically as an integral over the charge density function.

What are some real-world examples of continuous charge distributions?

Some examples of continuous charge distributions include charged wires, charged rods, and charged sheets. These objects have a large number of charges distributed over their length, and can be modeled using the concept of a continuous charge distribution to calculate their electric fields and behavior.