Continuous function and limits

In summary: I think you're on the right track, try substituting for abitrary m,n & using the inequality|yn-y|< epsilonfor the Cauchy part, notice that because of the defintion of the function, things cascade... ie|y_{n} - y_{m}| = |f(y_{n-1}) - f(y_{m-1})| = \leq c|y_{n-1}-y_{m-1}| = \leq c^2|y_{n-2}-y_{m-2}|...That is where I get confused though because we
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

Consider a function f : R--> R, and assume that there is a c is in (0, 1) so that
|f(x) - f(y)|<= c|x -y|
for all x, y in R.
(a) Show that f is continuous on R.
(b) Given a point y1 in R de fine a sequence by yn+1 = f(yn). Prove that yn is a Cauchy sequence
(and therefore convergent).
(c) Let y = lim yn. Prove that f(y) = y.
(d) Prove that the limit y is independent of the choice of y1, i.e. any sequence defi ned by choosing an x1 and defining xn+1 = f(xn) converges to the y from part (c).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Well this is what I tried, I'm not too sure if it is right:

Let epsilon>0 and choose delta=epsilon/c so that
0<|x-y|<delta implies that
|f(x)-f(y)|<=c|x-y|<c*delta=epsilon
Since this holds for all x, y in R, that means that the function is continuous on R

b) Not too sure how to do this, but I know that for epsilon > 0 you need to pick an N in N so that for m, n >= N:

|yn-ym|< epsilon

c)No idea what to do,
by definition of a limit of a sequence: for all epsilon>0
|yn-y|< epsilon

d) Need part c to do this one...

Physics news on Phys.org
dancergirlie said:

Homework Statement

Consider a function f : R--> R, and assume that there is a c is in (0, 1) so that
|f(x) - f(y)|<= c|x -y|
for all x, y in R.
(a) Show that f is continuous on R.
(b) Given a point y1 in R define a sequence by yn+1 = f(yn). Prove that yn is a Cauchy sequence
(and therefore convergent).
(c) Let y = lim yn. Prove that f(y) = y.
(d) Prove that the limit y is independent of the choice of y1, i.e. any sequence defined by choosing an x1 and defining xn+1 = f(xn) converges to the y from part (c).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Well this is what I tried, I'm not too sure if it is right:

Let epsilon>0 and choose delta=epsilon/c so that
0<|x-y|<delta implies that
|f(x)-f(y)|<=c|x-y|<c*delta=epsilon
Since this holds for all x, y in R, that means that the function is continuous on R
looks reasonable to me, note the defintion of this function, and i think what you have shown is in fact uniform continuity, which in turn implies pointwise continuity
dancergirlie said:
b) Not too sure how to do this, but I know that for epsilon > 0 you need to pick an N in N so that for m, n >= N:

|yn-ym|< epsilon
i think you're on the right track, try substituting for abitrary m,n & using the inequality

As the real numbers are complete, once you have shown it is Cauchy, you in fact have shown it has a limit within R.

The next part should follow on

dancergirlie said:
c)No idea what to do,
by definition of a limit of a sequence: for all epsilon>0
|yn-y|< epsilon

d) Need part c to do this one...

alright, I think I got part b, but I'm still stuck on part c.

for part c: I got that I am assuming that the lim(yn)=y and thus for all epsilon>0 there exists an n in N so that for n>=N

|yn-y|<epsilon
which is equivalent to
y-epsilon<yn<y+epsilon

I know that |f(x)-f(y)|<=c|x-y|
Is that the piece of information that I should use or should I use the fact that
yn+1=f(yn)??

wait so have you shown the sequence is Cauchy for part b? It should pretty much follow on from that for c)

for the Cauchy part, notice that because of the defintion of the function, things cascade... ie

[tex] |y_{n} - y_{m}| = |f(y_{n-1}) - f(y_{m-1})| = \leq c|y_{n-1}-y_{m-1}| = \leq c^2|y_{n-2}-y_{m-2}|... [/tex]

That is where I get confused though because we are looking at
|yn-y|. So is y suposed to be y1, because there is no subscript so that is where I'm getting confused. So that would mean:

|yn-y|=|f(yn-1)-f(y0)|?

no, y is the limit of the sequence [itex] y = (lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}) y_n [/itex]

so... if you show the sequence is Cauchy, then you know it has a limit in R as R is complete. As the sequence has a limit then it should follow pretty easily

[tex] y= (lim_{n \rightarrow \infty})y_n [/tex]

[tex] f(y) =(lim_{n \rightarrow \infty})f(y_n ) = (lim_{n \rightarrow \infty})y_{n+1} [/tex]

never quite worked out how to write those limits correctly in tex...

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that has no sudden or abrupt changes in its graph. This means that the graph of a continuous function can be drawn without lifting a pencil from the paper.

2. What is the definition of a limit in calculus?

In calculus, the limit of a function is the value that a function approaches as the input (x) approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function near a given point.

3. How do you determine if a function is continuous at a given point?

A function is considered continuous at a given point if the limit of the function exists at that point and is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, the graph of the function has no breaks or holes at that point.

4. What is the difference between left and right continuity?

Left continuity refers to the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value from the left side, while right continuity refers to the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value from the right side. A function is continuous if it is both left and right continuous at a given point.

5. What are some real-life applications of continuous functions and limits?

Continuous functions and limits are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they are used to model the motion of objects, analyze the stability of structures, and optimize production processes. They are also used in financial analysis and risk management to make predictions and decisions based on continuous data.