Constructing a Piecewise Continuous Function at a Single Point

In summary, the question is to find a function that is continuous at a specific point (x=a) but discontinuous at all other points. The solution involves using a piecewise defined function with half rational and half irrational parts, and showing its continuity at the specific point and discontinuity at all other points using sequences.
gaborfk

Homework Statement

For each [tex]a\in\mathbb{R}[/tex], find a function [tex]f[/tex] that is continuous at [tex]x=a[/tex] but discontinuous at all other points.

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I am not getting the question. I need to come up with a function, I was thinking of a piecewise defined one, half rational half irrational, which is continuous on one but not the other? Is this possible?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
what about f(x)={0, x-rational, x, where x irrational.
take a sequence {a} that converges to 0, from this sequence let's take two subsequences {b} of rationals, and {c} of irrationals, since {a} converges to 0 also {b} and {c} should converge to zero. now let's take the corresponding sequence of the function

f({a})-->0

f({b})-->x-->0

So this function i guess is continuous at x=0, since also f(0)=0, but it is discontinuous everywhere else.

Let's see what other guys have to say on this, cuz, i am not 100% sure that what i did actually works.

Thank you!

That sound great.

gaborfk said:
Thank you!

That sound great.

Can you show why the function that i took as an example, from the top of my head, is everywhere else discontinous, because i left this part for you to show.?

Because there are infinitely many irrational numbers which would make the graph continuous on the irrationals, but on an interval there would be rationals mixed in between the irrationals?

gaborfk said:
Because there are infinitely many irrational numbers which would make the graph continuous on the irrationals, but on an interval there would be rationals mixed in between the irrationals?

Well, try to use the same logic i used to show that it is continuous at 0. In other words try to use sequences and see if you can come up with sth. It is quite trivial frome here, i guess.

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that has a smooth and unbroken graph. This means that the function has no abrupt changes or breaks in its values, and that it can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

2. Can you give an example of a continuous function?

One example of a continuous function is the function f(x) = x^2, where x represents any real number. This function has a smooth and unbroken graph that forms a parabola.

3. How can I determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it satisfies the three conditions of continuity: it is defined at every point within its domain, its limit exists at every point within its domain, and the limit at each point is equal to the function's value at that point.

4. What are some real-life examples of continuous functions?

Some real-life examples of continuous functions include the temperature of a room over time, the height of a growing plant, and the amount of water in a swimming pool as it is being filled.

5. Why are continuous functions important in science?

Continuous functions are important in science because they allow us to model and analyze real-world phenomena and make predictions based on that data. They are also essential in calculus, which is used to solve many scientific problems and make accurate measurements.