Is the continuous map property preserved under taking limit points?

In summary, this question asks if it is true that if a subspace of a metric space has limit points, then the entire metric space has limit points. However, this is not always the case, as shown in the example.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Trying hard to do a problem recently, I encountered the following question. Hope you can shed some light on it. :)

Suppose we have a continuous mapping between two metric spaces; \(f:\, X\rightarrow Y\). Let \(A\) be a subspace of \(X\). Is it true that,

\[f(A')=[f(A)]'\]

where \(A'\) is the set of limit points of \(A\) and \([f(A)]'\) is the set of limit points of \(f(A)\).

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Hi everyone, :)

Trying hard to do a problem recently, I encountered the following question. Hope you can shed some light on it. :)

Suppose we have a continuous mapping between two metric spaces; \(f:\, X\rightarrow Y\). Let \(A\) be a subspace of \(X\). Is it true that,

\[f(A')=[f(A)]'\]

where \(A'\) is the set of limit points of \(A\) and \([f(A)]'\) is the set of limit points of \(f(A)\).
Let $X=\mathbb R$ and $Y=\{y\}$ be a singleton. Take $A=(0,1)$. Define $f:X\to Y$ as $f(x)=y$ for all $x\in X$. Then $f$ is continuous. Now $A$ has limit points but $f(A)$ has none. So $f(A')=[f(A)]'$ cannot hold.

(Wait) Am I doing something stupid?

caffeinemachine said:
Let $X=\mathbb R$ and $Y=\{y\}$ be a singleton. Take $A=(0,1)$. Define $f:X\to Y$ as $f(x)=y$ for all $x\in X$. Then $f$ is continuous. Now $A$ has limit points but $f(A)$ has none. So $f(A')=[f(A)]'$ cannot hold.

(Wait) Am I doing something stupid?

I think so.
$f(A')=f([0,1])=\{y\}$
$[f(A)]'=f((0,1))'=\{y\}'=\{y\}$

I like Serena said:
I think so.
$f(A')=f([0,1])=\{y\}$
$[f(A)]'=f((0,1))'=\{y\}'=\{y\}$
This means $y$ is the limit point of $\{y\}$.
I think this is incorrect. For the above to be true, any open set in $Y$ which contains $y$ should contain a point of $\{y\}$ which is different from $y$. This clearly isn't true.

caffeinemachine said:
This means $y$ is the limit point of $\{y\}$.
I think this is incorrect. For the above to be true, any open set in $Y$ which contains $y$ should contain a point of $\{y\}$ which is different from $y$. This clearly isn't true.

Good point.
I mixed up closure (often denoted with a prime) with the set of limit points.
So indeed:

$f(A')=f([0,1])=\{y\}$
$[f(A)]'=f((0,1))'=\{y\}'=\varnothing$

Therefore the statement in the OP is not true.

Thanks caffeinemachine and I like Serana. I truly appreciate your help. :)

So then what if I relax my condition to,

\[[f(A)]'\subseteq f(A')\]

What do you think about this? Any counter examples? :)

Sudharaka said:
Thanks caffeinemachine and I like Serana. I truly appreciate your help. :)

So then what if I relax my condition to,

\[[f(A)]'\subseteq f(A')\]

What do you think about this? Any counter examples? :)
Take $A = X = Y = \mathbb{R}$ and let $f(x) = \arctan x$. Then $A' = A$, and $f(A') = f(A) = \bigl(-\frac\pi2,\frac\pi2\bigr)$. But $[f(A)]' = \bigl[-\frac\pi2,\frac\pi2\bigr] \not\subseteq f(A').$

Opalg said:
Take $A = X = Y = \mathbb{R}$ and let $f(x) = \arctan x$. Then $A' = A$, and $f(A') = f(A) = \bigl(-\frac\pi2,\frac\pi2\bigr)$. But $[f(A)]' = \bigl[-\frac\pi2,\frac\pi2\bigr] \not\subseteq f(A').$

Thank you so much. That indeed is a nice and simple example, just what I have been looking for. :)

Related to Is the continuous map property preserved under taking limit points?

1. What is the Continuous Map Property?

The Continuous Map Property is a mathematical property that describes the smoothness or "continuity" of a function. It states that if two points in the domain of a function are close together, then their corresponding output values should also be close together.

2. How is the Continuous Map Property used in mathematics?

The Continuous Map Property is used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, topology, and functional analysis. It is essential in understanding the behavior of functions and their graphical representations.

3. What are some examples of functions that do not have the Continuous Map Property?

Some common examples of functions that do not have the Continuous Map Property include the Dirichlet function, which takes the value of 1 for rational numbers and 0 for irrational numbers, and the step function, which jumps from one value to another at a specific point.

4. How is the Continuous Map Property related to the concept of limits?

The Continuous Map Property is closely related to the concept of limits, as it is a necessary condition for a function to have a limit at a point. If a function does not have the Continuous Map Property, its limit at a point may not exist or may be different from the function's value at that point.

5. Can the Continuous Map Property be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Continuous Map Property can be extended to functions with multiple variables, known as multivariate functions. In this case, the property states that if two points in the domain are close together, then their corresponding output values should also be close together in all dimensions.