1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contour Integration used to solved real Integrals

1. Oct 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Essential Mathematical Methods for the Physics Sciences Problem 15.7

Show that if f(z) has a simple zero at z0 then 1/ f(z) has a residue of 1/f'(z0). Then use this information to evaluate:

∫ sinθ/(a- sinθ) dθ, where the integral goes from -∏ to ∏.

2. Relevant equations
    The book has further hints:
    The unit circle has only one pole at z= i*a-i(a2-1)^1/2 and therefore has a residue of -i/2 *(a2 -1)-1/2.

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part is:
    1/f(z) has a simple pole at z0 leaving the residue to be limz→z0 (z-z0) * 1/f(z) = 1/f'(z0) by definition of the derivative.

But using this information to do the integral is escaping me. Can anyone just help me understand how to use the hint. I don't actually need the whole step by step guide to the integral.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I haven't worked it out, but I'd try using the substitution ##z=e^{i\theta}## and expressing ##\sin\theta## as ##\frac{z-1/z}{2i}##.

4. Oct 12, 2013 #3
    What is a? That matters. For example if [itex]|a|<1[/itex] and real, the integral becomes a principal-valued integral.

5. Oct 12, 2013 #4
    Sorry, a is real and a > 1. Rewriting sin as vela said came to the right answer, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted