1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Contrapositive of a (if p and q, then r) statement?

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I hope this is the right place to post this.

For my linear algebra homework, I have to prove that
    "If [itex]\vec{u} \neq \vec{0}[/itex] and [itex]a\vec{u} = b\vec{u}[/itex], then [itex]a = b[/itex]."

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm trying to prove the contrapositive, but I'm not sure how to alter the statement.

I think it's something like
    "If [itex]a \neq b[/itex], then [itex]\vec{u}=\vec{0}[/itex] or [itex]a\vec{u} \neq b\vec{u}[/itex]."

But then I don't know where to begin, so I'm guessing a proof by contrapositive isn't the right method to use here. It seems to me that a direct proof might me simpler, but I guess I wanted to challenge myself. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

A direct proof would be simpler here. Basically what you're trying to prove is the cancellation law.

I'm sure you're in a field here, particularly a vector space. What do you know about the properties of a vector space? Think about axioms.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    Well we know quite a few axioms, and we also know other properties as a result of earlier proofs.

My "direct proof" goes like this:
    Let [itex]U[/itex] be a vector space and [itex]\vec{u} \in U[/itex]. Let [itex]a,b[/itex] be arbitrary scalars.

Given that [itex]a\vec{u} = b\vec{u}[/itex], by substitution we have
    [itex]\frac{1}{a} (a\vec{u}) = \frac{1}{a} (b\vec{u})[/itex].

By axiom 9 (an associative property),
    [itex](\frac{1}{a} \cdot a) \vec{u} = (\frac{1}{a} \cdot b) \vec{u}[/itex]
    [itex](1) \vec{u} = \frac{b}{a} \vec{u}[/itex]

So for equality to hold, we must have
    [itex]1 = \frac{b}{a}[/itex], and from this it follows that
    [itex]a = b[/itex]. Q.E.D.

I wrote this up pretty quickly, so I agree that the direct proof is easier. Is there a way to work with the contrapositive, though? It doesn't look like it to me.

5. Nov 8, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Wait what substitution? You multiplied by the left inverse of a, that's not a substitution. Also, your vector u doesn't automatically cancel out of thin air. The point is, you have to argue as to why u is going to cancel.

You have that u is non-zero and au = bu. You want to show that a = b.

Since u is a non-zero vector... hmm ;). Another hint is to abandon the fraction notation and use inverse notation.

6. Nov 8, 2012 #5
    My professor considers "multiplying both sides by the same thing" to be substitution. I think what he means by that is since, for example, for some vectors u and v, if u=v then au = av. Does that clear it up?

As for getting rid of the vector u, I just matched up the scalar coefficients. I don't how else to describe what it is I did there... I guess I'm saying I don't actually get rid of u. How is this normally shown in a proof knowing that u is non-zero?

Edit: I think I can answer my own question.
    [itex](1)\vec{u} = \frac{b}{a}\vec{u}[/itex]
    [itex](1)\vec{u} + (-\frac{b}{a}\vec{u}) = \frac{b}{a}\vec{u} + (-\frac{b}{a}\vec{u})[/itex]
    [itex](1)\vec{u} - \frac{b}{a}\vec{u} = \vec{0}[/itex]
    [itex](1 - \frac{b}{a})\vec{u} = \vec{0}[/itex]

Since u is non-zero, it follows that (1 - b/a) = 0, and then I solve to get a=b. Is this right?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  7. Nov 8, 2012 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

If u is non-zero, then it has an inverse? What happens if you apply the inverse to what you're trying to show.

8. Nov 8, 2012 #7
    We haven't learned anything about inverse vectors, but I think I get what you're saying here. I figured another way which I added to my last comment.

Edit: Oops, I misinterpreted "inverse." I was thinking multiplicative for some reason...

9. Nov 8, 2012 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Ah you haven't been taught about it. The problem with what you're doing is you're assuming a has an inverse. What if a=0? The whole thing goes down the drain.

10. Nov 8, 2012 #9
    Sorry, I was mistaken. We actually did learn about the inverse of a vector, namely the negative of a vector. I don't know... I knew of the additive inverse but it didn't quite register.

And it looks like I have to provide a proof for when either a or b are zero. Thanks for reminding me.

11. Nov 8, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why are you dividing by anything? You've got (a-b)u=0 where u is nonzero. Isn't that enough?

12. Nov 8, 2012 #11
    I believe the contrapositive here would be what you guessed it to be. As others have said, I think its easier to prove directly. For fun, let's prove the contrapositive, worded better for proving:

"For any vector [itex]u[/itex], in some vector space [itex]V[/itex], and any scalars [itex]a,b[/itex], in some field [itex]F[/itex], consider the equation [itex]au=bu[/itex], with truth of equality undetermined. If [itex]a \neq b[/itex], then either [itex]u=0[/itex] (so that [itex]au=bu[/itex]), or [itex]au \neq bu[/itex]."

Let's begin the proof. For the first case, suppose [itex]u\neq 0[/itex]. Because by assumption [itex]a\neq b[/itex], we thus have [itex]a-b\neq 0[/itex]. Therefore, we can conclude that

[itex](a-b)u\neq 0[/itex]

From this we can easily conclude by moving terms around that it must be that [itex]au\neq bu[/itex]. (How?) Next, suppose instead (working on the second and final case) that [itex]u=0[/itex]. To be clear, we want to draw from this that [itex]au=bu[/itex]. Of course, that is obvious.

Note that, because this is a mathematical statement, the "or" component means we could have both parts of the conclusion of the statement, i.e. both that [itex]u=0[/itex] and [itex]au \neq bu[/itex]. However, this cannot be. (Why?) So, I guess for this theorem (problem), it must be that we can only have one or the other condition, i.e. it is an "exclusive-or" conclusion, rather "inclusive-or."

This concludes the proof.

My bad if I did anything wrong. I'm a bit tired, but I feel like there's enough good info there to give reason for me to submit this reply, anyway

13. Nov 9, 2012 #12
    I looked over the proof last night and I realized that now (that I have (a - b)u = 0). Thanks!

And to 5hassay, I think I follow. Since it's an exclusive-or statement, would that mean I would only have to show one for the statement to hold?

14. Nov 9, 2012 #13

If I understand correctly, since our conclusion is a "result 1 OR result 2" conclusion, and it appears we can only have one or the other, but not both, i.e. the "OR" as an "exclusive-or," then we must show both that result 1 can occur while result 2 does not occur, and, likewise, that result 2 can occur while result 1 does not occur

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook