1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control system with equation C = A*x + B*dx/dt

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question came up in a computer science / robotics exam and I still don't know the solution for it. I figured out that it's classical mechanics related, so I thought this might be the best place to ask it.

2. Relevant equations
    C = A*x + B*dx/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've figured out that the steady state doesn't change, as it happens when dx/dt is 0, thus B is not affecting the solution.

And this is how far I understand it. Can you explain to me, what kind of movement is this, what is the real-life meaning of the steady state and half-life for this movement and that how to calculate the change in the half-life?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi zsero! :smile:

write it Bdx/dt = C - Ax, then solve it by "separating the variables" :wink:

4. May 13, 2012 #3
    OK, I arrive at the following equation:

-B/A*ln(x) = c*t + k1

My problem here is that I don't understand the meaning of the equations and that what is asked by half-life and steady state.

How can I get the half-time from this equation?

5. May 13, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok, now multiply by -1/B and then e-to-the on both sides …

x = xoe-ACt/B (where xo = e-kA/B)

does that look familiar? :wink:

6. May 13, 2012 #5
    Thanks for the help! Actually, I'm not a Physics student, so I don't really know, but I'd guess it's the exponential delay. So if B doubles then the constant becomes half, thus the half-life becomes double. Is this correct?

7. May 13, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

good guess! :smile:

but you really should make yourself familiar with half-life (and exponential decay generally) …

look it up in wikipedia or the pf library :wink:

8. May 13, 2012 #7
    Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook