Convection and Thermal Resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of thermal resistance and its relationship to heat energy and temperature. It is mentioned that thermal resistance can be a constant or vary depending on the material and operating conditions. The example of a thin and long rectangular aluminum rod is used to explain this concept, and it is noted that with significant convection, the thermal resistance may remain constant.
sonofptolomey
I have a question...

Suppose you have a thin and long rectangular piece of aluminum.

You heat one end (pt A). The thermal resistance (steady state) from one end (pt A) to the other (pt B) would be

θ=ΔT/W
Where W= Watts of heat energy.
ΔT = temperature of ptA - temperature of ptB

Now suppose you expose ptB to significant convection, cooling it down and letting the system reach steady state.

Would the thermal resistance be different? Or is it constant?

I'm just confused conceptually.

I can easily argue both ways. I'm on the fence.

Physics news on Phys.org
Really? No replies?

thermal resistance is a material property...so, depending on the material and the operating conditions you are interested in, you may consider its value a constant (if it does not vary much) or may have keep track of it if it varies significantly with temperature.

for your aluminum rod, with a temperature differential between one end and the other one...you probably have different thermal resistance values along the entire length...sure, you can always estimate a total, lumped value for it by taking dT/W.

Thanks, that's what I expected. So in the case of extreme convection, the aluminum rod temperature will steady (if convection continues unchanged) such that the ΔT/W will be constant.

Thanks!

I can understand your confusion about the thermal resistance in this scenario. Let me provide some clarification.

Thermal resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for heat to flow through a material or system. In this case, the thermal resistance is determined by the temperature difference (ΔT) and the amount of heat energy (W) being transferred through the aluminum piece.

When you heat one end (pt A) of the aluminum piece, the thermal resistance from pt A to pt B is determined by the temperature difference (ΔT) between the two points. This means that the thermal resistance will be higher if the temperature difference is larger, and vice versa. This relationship is represented by the equation θ=ΔT/W.

Now, when you expose pt B to significant convection, the temperature at pt B will decrease due to the cooling effect of the convection. This means that the temperature difference (ΔT) between pt A and pt B will decrease, resulting in a lower thermal resistance.

In other words, the thermal resistance will be different when pt B is exposed to convection because the temperature difference (ΔT) has changed. This is a result of the cooling effect of convection, which makes it easier for heat to flow through the aluminum piece. Therefore, the thermal resistance is not constant in this scenario.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of thermal resistance for you. Remember, thermal resistance is dependent on the temperature difference and the amount of heat energy being transferred, so any changes in these factors will result in a different thermal resistance.

1. What is convection?

Convection is a type of heat transfer that occurs when a fluid, such as air or water, is heated and then moves from one place to another, carrying thermal energy with it.

2. How does convection affect thermal resistance?

Convection can increase or decrease thermal resistance, depending on the specific situation. In general, convection increases thermal resistance by creating a layer of fluid with a different temperature than the surrounding environment, which acts as an insulator. However, in certain situations, such as in heat exchangers, convection can actually decrease thermal resistance by helping to transfer heat away from a surface.

3. What factors affect convection?

The rate of convection is influenced by several factors, including the temperature difference between the fluid and the surrounding environment, the properties of the fluid (such as viscosity and density), the surface area and shape of the object, and the movement of the fluid (such as natural or forced convection).

4. How is thermal resistance calculated?

Thermal resistance is calculated by dividing the temperature difference between two points by the rate of heat transfer between those points. In the case of convection, this involves calculating the heat transfer coefficient, which takes into account the factors mentioned in the previous question.

5. What are some real-life examples of convection and thermal resistance?

Convection and thermal resistance play important roles in many everyday situations. Some examples include the cooling of a hot cup of coffee as it sits in a room, the heating of a room by a radiator, the cooling of a computer by a fan, and the transfer of heat in a pot of boiling water on a stove.