Convergence/Divergence of series; conflicting answers

• Thread starter Scintillation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the convergent geometric series 1/2^n converges while the divergent p series 1/sqrtn diverges.
Scintillation

Homework Statement

Simple question. Find the convergence or divergence of this term.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the comparison test with 1/sqrtn, which is a divergent p series (p=1/2), and then with 1/2^n, which is a convergent geometric series. I don't know why the answers should be conflicting, since it is clear both of my comparison series are bigger than the original.

Can someone help me? I'm probably doing something very stupid.

http://i47.tinypic.com/jj19xu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that the terms of the series are positive ...

When using the comparison test to check for divergence, you want your series to be larger term by term than the known divergent series.

In order to prove that a positive series [tex]\{a_n\}[/tex] diverges, by the comparison test, you must show there is a divergent series [tex]\{b_n\}[/tex] such that [tex]a_n\ge b_n[/tex]. In order to show that a positive series [tex]\{a_n\}[/tex] converges, by the comparison test, you must show that there is a convergent sequence [tex]\{b_n\}[/tex] such that [tex]a_n\le b_n[/tex].

That is precisely the problem. Both of my comparisons are bigger than the original series, but one is divergent and the other is convergent.

Can I say that just because one of my comparisons converges, that my original series also converges (and that the divergent series comparison provides no information?).

Scintillation said:
That is precisely the problem. Both of my comparisons are bigger than the original series, but one is divergent and the other is convergent.

Can I say that just because one of my comparisons converges, that my original series also converges (and that the divergent series comparison provides no information?).

That IS precisely the problem. Your comparison 1/sqrt(n) is bigger than the original series. You take any series whatsoever and it's easy to find a divergent series that's bigger. So yes, no information there.

Scintillation said:

So, find a known divergent series that's than your series, term by term.

Otherwise, use a different method to show that your series is divergent.

Hmm, I am sorry to say, but I am still kind of confused.

Now that I am rethinking the problem, I see that perhaps only one of them suggests convergence. If the bigger term converges, then the smaller term will converge too.

1/sqrtn is bigger, but it is divergent, so tells me nothing about my series.
1/2^n is also bigger, but because it is convergent, I know that my series is convergent too.

So I think one way to look at it is that it doesn't matter if 1/sqrt diverges, because that information is not useful. All I need to do is find a bigger series that converges, or a smaller one that diverges. A bigger one that diverges doesn't help me. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In terms of using a comparison that is "bigger term by term," does this mean that I should not have tried the comparison with 1/sqrtn and simply went to 1/2^n?

I misunderstood the problem you're working on. (Must not have looked at the link!)

Do you know if [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}+2^n}\ \ [/itex] converges ?

If it does, the find a known convergent series which is larger, term by term, than your series.

Note: [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n}\ \ [/itex] is not larger term by term.

If it diverges, the find a known divergent series which is smaller, term by term, than your series.

Scintillation said:
Hmm, I am sorry to say, but I am still kind of confused.

Now that I am rethinking the problem, I see that perhaps only one of them suggests convergence. If the bigger term converges, then the smaller term will converge too.

1/sqrtn is bigger, but it is divergent, so tells me nothing about my series.
1/2^n is also bigger, but because it is convergent, I know that my series is convergent too.

So I think one way to look at it is that it doesn't matter if 1/sqrt diverges, because that information is not useful. All I need to do is find a bigger series that converges, or a smaller one that diverges. A bigger one that diverges doesn't help me. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In terms of using a comparison that is "bigger term by term," does this mean that I should not have tried the comparison with 1/sqrtn and simply went to 1/2^n?

Nothing you are saying here sounds confused.

SammyS said:
Note: [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n}\ \ [/itex] is not larger term by term.

Isn't it? I thought it was.:confused:

Scintillation said:

Homework Statement

Simple question. Find the convergence or divergence of this term.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the comparison test with 1/sqrtn, which is a divergent p series (p=1/2), and then with 1/2^n, which is a convergent geometric series. I don't know why the answers should be conflicting, since it is clear both of my comparison series are bigger than the original.

Can someone help me? I'm probably doing something very stupid.

http://i47.tinypic.com/jj19xu.jpg

To prove convergence for a series of all positive terms, you need to find another *convergent* series of positive terms for which every term is *larger* than the original series. Think about this as finding an upper bound for your original series. If the upper bound is finite, your original series has to converge.

Conversely, to prove divergence, you need to find a *divergent* series which is *smaller*, term by term than the original series. Think about this as finding a lower bound for your original series. If the lower bound is infinite, your original series has to diverge.

(In both cases, if you cannot find a corresponding series where every term meets the condition, it suffices to find one where every term from a certain term onward meets the condition. But this is small print, and not needed here).

So the first test you did doesn't add any value. You compared against a divergent series *but* your original series was smaller, term by term than this divergent series. You cannot conclude anything from this.

The second test has value. You compared against a convergent series, *and* your original series is smaller, term by term than this convergent series. You can draw a conclusion from this.

There is no contradiction here. It's just that one comparison was useful, the other not.

SammyS said:
I misunderstood the problem you're working on. (Must not have looked at the link!)

Do you know if [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}+2^n}\ \ [/itex] converges ?

If it does, the find a known convergent series which is larger, term by term, than your series.

If it diverges, the find a known divergent series which is smaller, term by term, than your series.

The series [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2^n}[/tex] IS larger, term-by-term, than the original series, because [tex] \sqrt{n} + 2^n > 2^n[/tex] for all n ≥ 1.

RGV

Curious3141 said:
Isn't it? I thought it was.:confused:
DUH!

Of course it is larger term by term!

What was I thinking?

1. What is the difference between convergence and divergence of a series?

Convergence and divergence refer to the behavior of a series, or a sequence of numbers, as the number of terms increases. A series is said to converge if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, a series is said to diverge if the sum of its terms either approaches infinity or does not have a finite value.

2. How can I determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the ratio test, the comparison test, and the integral test. These tests compare the given series to a known convergent or divergent series, and their results can provide information about the behavior of the given series.

3. Why do some series have conflicting answers about convergence or divergence?

Some series may have conflicting answers about convergence or divergence because different tests may provide different results. In some cases, a series may satisfy the conditions of one test and not another, leading to conflicting conclusions. It is important to carefully consider the conditions and assumptions of each test when determining the convergence or divergence of a series.

4. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. By definition, a series can only have one of these two behaviors. However, there are some series that may have subseries that are convergent and others that are divergent, leading to conflicting answers about the overall behavior of the series.

5. How does the behavior of a series affect its summation?

The behavior of a series, whether it is convergent or divergent, can greatly affect its summation. If a series is convergent, its sum can be calculated by adding up all of its terms. However, if a series is divergent, its sum cannot be calculated in this way and may require more advanced techniques, such as using partial sums or finding the limit of a sequence.