Is the Integral of sin(1/t) from 1/pi to infinity convergent?

In summary, the homework equation is convergent, but the integral of sin(1/t) from 1/pi to infinity is not convergent.
Kruger

Homework Statement

Given the integral f(t)=sin(1/t)dt from 1/pi to infinity. Examine if it is convergent.

Homework Equations

No particular equation. But I know that if the integral of a function g is convergent and there's another function h such that |h|<=g than the integral of h is also convergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried so far is to take the Taylor serie T(X) of sin(x). Which is T(x)=x+o(x) where o(x) is a term that is negative if x is small enough. So I can estimate the function f(t): sin(1/t)>=1/t for large t.

But now I'm not really sure if I conclude the right thing out of this:

Does it follow, that because |sin(1/t)|>=1/t for large t and the integral of 1/t from 1/pi to infinity is not convergent, so sin(1/t) isn't convergent, too?

Or how can I solve this without using the Taylor serie? I think it isn't the right way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kruger said:
Does it follow, that because |sin(1/t)|>=1/t for large t and the integral of 1/t from 1/pi to infinity is not convergent, so sin(1/t) isn't convergent, too?

You have the right idea. Except sin(1/t)<1/t for large t. Hint: It's not very much less.

Ok, I've solved it successfully. Thanks.

The next one is to check wheter the integral of sin(t^2) from 0 to infinity is divergent or convergent.

What I did so far is to find the zero points of sin(t^2) which are in (n*pi)^(1/2). So I can write our integral in a new way, more precisely, with a sum. I sum up over n from 0 to infinity and integrate over (n*pi)^(1/2) to ((n+1)*pi)^(1/2).

But how can I go on to show that the integral sin(t^2) is convergent?

You can't.

How does the integral of sin(t2) differ from the integral of sin(t)?

Well, the areas in further regions of the x-axis get smaller and smaller (sin(x^2)) and in sin(x) the areas are always the same.

Can you give me a hint?

Well one way it differs is that it isn't elementary...Just incase Kruger doesn't already know, even though in sin x they remain the same, the integral is the net area, not the total area. The differences in the areas of sin x^2 gets smaller as x gets large, so that could converge as well i think, i don't know. Halls obviously knows though :P

I know that it isn't elementary, else I had calculated the integral with some method. The task and goal is to estimate the integral of sin(x^2). For example I could find some other function f(x) such that f(x)>=sin(x^2) and with the special property that the integral of f(x) converges, thus sin(x^2) also converges.

What is the definition of "convergence of integral"?

The convergence of an integral refers to whether or not the value of the integral approaches a finite number as the limits of integration approach a certain value. In other words, it determines if the area under the curve of a function can be accurately calculated.

What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent integral?

A convergent integral is one where the value of the integral approaches a finite number as the limits of integration approach a certain value. In contrast, a divergent integral is one where the value of the integral approaches infinity as the limits of integration approach a certain value.

What are some common methods for testing the convergence of an integral?

Some common methods for testing the convergence of an integral include the comparison test, the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These methods involve comparing the given integral to a known convergent or divergent integral or using mathematical manipulation to determine the behavior of the given integral.

What is the importance of convergence of integrals in real-world applications?

The convergence of integrals is crucial in real-world applications such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows for the accurate calculation of important quantities such as area, volume, and work. Without convergence, these values would be impossible to determine, making it a fundamental concept in many scientific fields.

What are some common examples of convergent and divergent integrals?

Convergent integrals include the integral of a finite polynomial function, the integral of an exponential function, and the integral of a rational function with a finite number of discontinuities. Examples of divergent integrals include the integral of a logarithmic function, the integral of a power function with a negative exponent, and the integral of a rational function with an infinite number of discontinuities.