Convergence of ode & pde

In summary: Hallsoflvy,thanks for your quick response...i am reffering to adomian decomposition method of solving linear and non linear partial and ordinary differential equation...where the author has emphasised on the convergence of the equations(pde & ode) as a condition in the working of the problemto a specific solution that may also be solved by other means i.e thro..analytical means or numerical means e.g runge kutta ,finite difference method and so on...now on the analytic method..one may get a solution that is asymptotic in nature.Are the two methods I.E asymptotic and convergence complementing each other
chwala
Gold Member
Hi,
well let me put the question a bit clear...my concern area is on ode and pde...my question is when you solve a pde/ode analytically and get a solution by asymptotic means does this mean that if solution exists then ...when using convergence as an alternative way of getting solution of the pde/ode ...read adomian decomposition...

Does it therefore mean that convergence solution of an ode/pde EQUATION = Asymptotic solution of an ode/pde EQUATION ?
regards,
chwala

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not at all clear what you mean by "convergenced solution" or "asymptotic solution". A "solution" to a differential equation by is a function that satisfies the differential equation. How you got that function does not matter.

HallsofIvy said:
It's not at all clear what you mean by "convergenced solution" or "asymptotic solution". A "solution" to a differential equation by is a function that satisfies the differential equation. How you got that function does not matter.

Hallsoflvy,
thanks for your quick response...i am reffering to adomian decomposition method of solving linear and non linear partial and ordinary differential equation...where the author has emphasised on the convergence of the equations(pde & ode) as a condition in the working of the problemto a specific solution that may also be solved by other means i.e thro..analytical means or numerical means e.g runge kutta ,finite difference method and so on...now on the analytic method..one may get a solution that is asymptotic in nature.

Are the two methods I.E asymptotic and convergence complementing each other..kindly look at adomian decomposition in general as you make a conclusion,
regards,
chwala

chwala said:
Hallsoflvy,
thanks for your quick response...i am reffering to adomian decomposition method of solving linear and non linear partial and ordinary differential equation...where the author has emphasised on the convergence of the equations(pde & ode) as a condition in the working of the problemto a specific solution that may also be solved by other means i.e thro..analytical means or numerical means e.g runge kutta ,finite difference method and so on...now on the analytic method..one may get a solution that is asymptotic in nature.

Are the two methods I.E asymptotic and convergence complementing each other..kindly look at adomian decomposition in general as you make a conclusion,
regards,
chwala

i have researched on the two- asymptotic and convergence...a differential equation can be solved analytically by use of asymptotic method...once solved and a solution found ...the same solution can be tested for convergence or divergence as a property of solution...thank you all...on the other hand convergence can be used as a method in solving differential equation particularly of second order...by use of what we call adomian decomposition...where a solution is found and in most cases the solutions are convergent in nature.
regards

Hello Chwala,

Convergence of ODE and PDE refers to the process of finding a solution to a differential equation using numerical methods. This can be done by approximating the solution with a series of simpler equations and gradually improving the accuracy of the solution. Asymptotic means that the solution approaches a certain value as the independent variable approaches infinity.

In terms of your question, using convergence as an alternative way of solving an ODE/PDE does not necessarily mean that the solution will be the same as the asymptotic solution obtained analytically. Convergence methods provide approximations of the solution, which may not be as accurate as the asymptotic solution. However, in some cases, the convergence solution may closely match the asymptotic solution.

The Adomian decomposition method is one such convergence method that can be used to solve ODEs and PDEs. It involves breaking down the original equation into a series of simpler equations and solving them sequentially. The final solution is then obtained by combining the solutions of these simpler equations.

In conclusion, while convergence methods provide an alternative way of obtaining solutions to ODEs and PDEs, the accuracy of these solutions may vary and may not always match the asymptotic solution obtained analytically. It is important to carefully consider the convergence method being used and the level of accuracy required for the specific problem at hand.

1. What is the difference between an ODE and a PDE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) involves a single independent variable and its derivatives, while a PDE (partial differential equation) involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. Additionally, ODEs are typically used to model systems that change over time, while PDEs are often used to model systems that vary in space.

2. What is meant by the convergence of ODEs and PDEs?

The convergence of ODEs and PDEs refers to the behavior of the solutions as the spatial or temporal grid is refined. In other words, as the grid becomes more and more finely divided, do the solutions of the ODEs and PDEs approach a common solution? If so, we say that the ODEs and PDEs are converging to a common solution.

3. Why is it important to study the convergence of ODEs and PDEs?

Studying the convergence of ODEs and PDEs is important because it helps us understand the behavior of numerical methods used to solve these types of equations. If the solutions of the ODEs and PDEs are not converging as the grid is refined, it indicates that the numerical method may not be accurate. Additionally, understanding convergence can help us improve the efficiency and accuracy of numerical methods used to solve ODEs and PDEs.

4. How is convergence of ODEs and PDEs tested?

There are several ways to test the convergence of ODEs and PDEs. One common method is to compare the solutions obtained using different grid sizes or time steps. If the solutions are converging, we would expect them to become more and more similar as the grid is refined. Another method is to compare the solutions to an analytical solution, if one exists. If the solutions match the analytical solution as the grid is refined, we can say that the ODEs and PDEs are converging.

5. What factors can affect the convergence of ODEs and PDEs?

There are several factors that can affect the convergence of ODEs and PDEs. One important factor is the choice of numerical method used to solve the equations. Some methods may be more accurate or converge faster than others. The grid size or time step used can also greatly impact convergence. If the grid size or time step is too large, the solutions may not converge. Additionally, the characteristics of the equations themselves, such as the presence of boundary conditions or nonlinear terms, can also affect convergence.