Convergence of sequences in topological spaces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a given sequence in R under different topologies, including discrete, indiscrete, and a specific topology involving set theoretic subtraction. It is determined that the sequence converges to no points under the discrete topology, all points under the indiscrete topology, and no points under the specific topology.
~Death~
hi
I was having difficulty with this problem in the book

If (1/n) is a sequence in R

which points (if any) will it converge (for every open set there is an integer N such that for all n>N 1/n is in that open set) to using the following topologies

(a) Discrete
(b) Indiscrete
(c) { A in X : A\X is countable or all of X }

For indiscrete I know that any sequence will converge to any point in R

For discrete -the sequence doesn't coverge to any points

and for (c) I am thinking the sequence again doesn't converge to any points

but I am not sure how to prove the last ones ...or if theyre even right

any help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A\X is countable or all of X }

What do you mean by A\X? Most people write set theoretic subtraction as X\A (since A is a subset of X, you can't subtract X from A meaningfully), is that your intent?

Office_Shredder said:
What do you mean by A\X? Most people write set theoretic subtraction as X\A (since A is a subset of X, you can't subtract X from A meaningfully), is that your intent?

yea that's what i meant, sorry -)

i don't really require a proof - i just want to know if i got the right answers
that is discrete topology -no point of convergence
indiscrete -all points are points of convergence
and the last one -no point is a point of convergence

thanks

Yes, those answers are correct to the best of my knowledge.

What is the concept of convergence in topological spaces?

In topology, convergence is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a sequence of points in a topological space. It essentially means that as the sequence progresses, the points get closer and closer to a particular limit point in the space.

How is convergence defined in topological spaces?

In topological spaces, convergence is defined in terms of neighborhoods. A sequence of points {xn} in a topological space X converges to a point x if for every neighborhood U of x, there exists a natural number N such that for all n ≥ N, xn ∈ U.

What is the difference between sequential convergence and topological convergence?

Sequential convergence refers to the convergence of a sequence of points in a topological space, while topological convergence refers to the convergence of a set of points in a topological space. Sequential convergence is a special case of topological convergence, where the points in the sequence are considered as a set.

What is the relationship between convergence and continuity in topological spaces?

In topological spaces, continuity and convergence are closely related. A function f between two topological spaces is continuous if and only if it preserves sequential convergence. This means that if a sequence {xn} converges to a point x in the domain space, then the sequence {f(xn)} converges to f(x) in the target space.

How does compactness affect the convergence of sequences in topological spaces?

In topological spaces, compactness has a significant impact on the convergence of sequences. In a compact space, every sequence has a convergent subsequence. This means that if a sequence {xn} does not converge, it can be "compressed" into a smaller sequence that converges to a point in the space. This property of compactness is known as the Bolzano-Weierstrass property.