Convergence of the sequence from Heron's method.

In summary, the sequence (starting from ##a_2##) is nonincreasing and bounded below, but it converges faster than exponential.
Coffee_
##a_1=1##

##a_{n+1}=\frac{1}{2} ( a_{n} + \frac{b}{a_n} )##

This should converge to ##\sqrt{b}## but I seem not to be able to prove this. Could someone give me a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
First prove that a limit exists. Show this by proving (by induction) that the sequence (starting from ##a_2##) is nonincreasing and bounded below.

One can define a new sequence [itex]\delta_1,\delta_2,\delta_3,\ldots[/itex] by setting [itex]\delta_n=a_n-\sqrt{b}[/itex], and then solve an equivalent recursion formula for [itex]\delta_{n+1}[/itex]. Proving [itex]\delta_n\to 0[/itex] can turn out more natural than proving the original claim directly.

First we prove that any term that is given by the recursion formula is either larger or equal to ##\sqrt{b}##.

##\frac{1}{2}(a_n + \frac{b}{a_n}) \ge \sqrt{b}##
This can be rewritten as :

##(a_n-\sqrt{b})^{2} \ge 0 ##

Which is obviously always the case. To conclude, any term starting from ##a_2## is larger or equal to ##\sqrt{b}##

Next we will look at when the succeeding term is non increasing:

##a_{n+1}=\frac{1}{2}(a_n + \frac{b}{a_n}) \le a_n ## ?

## a_n + \frac{b}{a_n} \le 2 a_n ##

##b \le a_n^{2} ##

This means that as long as the previous term was above ##\sqrt{b}## the next one will be smaller. However I proved that from ##a_2## all the terms are above ##\sqrt{b}## which means that from ##a_2## on it is non decreasing and bounded from below by ##\sqrt{b}##.

That is correct. So now you've shown that ##(a_n)_n## is decreasing and bounded below, which means that it converges. Now we use a dirty trick to find the actual limit of ##(a_n)_n##. We have

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} a_n = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} a_{n+1} = \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty} \frac{1}{2}\left(a_n + \frac{b}{a_n}\right)[/tex]

I'll let you do the rest.

Last edited:
Wow that is indeed a dirty trick! However it clearly does follow from it, thanks a lot.

It seems my advice wasn't useful for the precise requested task, but I insist that it can be useful for other purposes. For example here the sequence converges towards [itex]\sqrt{b}[/itex] at a rate that is faster than exponential, and that can be relevant for numerical purposes, but it wasn't yet proven by the used tricks.

Last edited:

Related to Convergence of the sequence from Heron's method.

1. What is Heron's method and what does it converge to?

Heron's method, also known as the Babylonian method, is an algorithm used to approximate the square root of a number. It is an iterative process that repeatedly improves the estimate of the square root until it converges to the actual value.

2. How does Heron's method work?

Heron's method starts with an initial estimate of the square root and then repeatedly takes the average of that estimate and the number divided by the estimate. This process is continued until the estimate converges to the actual square root.

3. How do you know when Heron's method has converged?

Heron's method is considered to have converged when the difference between two consecutive estimates is smaller than a predetermined tolerance value. The smaller the tolerance value, the more accurate the approximation of the square root will be.

4. What is the rate of convergence for Heron's method?

Heron's method has a quadratic rate of convergence, meaning that with each iteration, the number of correct digits in the approximation doubles. This makes it a very efficient method for finding square roots.

5. Are there any limitations to Heron's method?

Heron's method may not always converge or may converge to the wrong value if the initial estimate is not chosen carefully. It also may not work for complex numbers or irrational numbers. Additionally, the number of iterations required for convergence may be large for some numbers, making it less efficient than other methods.