Convergence of the surface charge density Fourier series expansion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
thesaruman
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Test the convergence of the series for the surface charge density:
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{s=0}(-1)^s(4s+3)\frac{(2 s -1)!}{(2s)!}[/tex]

Homework Equations



[tex](2s-1)! = \frac{(2s)!}{2^s s!};[/tex]
[tex](2s)! = 2^s s![/tex]
Stirling's asymptotic formula for the factorials:
[tex]s! = \sqrt{2 \pi s}s^s \exp{(-s)}.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Well, I couldn't show that this is a monotonically decreasing series. So I thought I could demonstrate that this is an absolutely convergent series. First, I used the ratio and root tests, but they were inconclusive. Then I used the Stirling asymptotic formula with the double factorials converted to simple ones, and obtained
[tex]u_n = \frac{4 s+3}{\sqrt{\pi } \sqrt{s}}.[/tex]
I used again the ration and root tests, but again they showed inconclusive results. Finally, I used the MacLaurin test showed that this series is not absolutely convergent.
I think that this is not the case, because this is the result of a Fourier series expansion of the surface charge density of the electrostatic two hemisphere problem.
Does anyone has any idea, please...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same thing you do as an approximation for u_n. That's not only increasing, it's unbounded. The series can't converge.