Does this real sequence necessarily converge?

In summary, the sequence (x_n) may or may not converge, depending on the specific sequence. The Cauchy Criterion for sequences may not be applicable because it cannot always determine if there is a point after which the terms have a difference of less than an epsilon. A possible counterexample is the sequence of partial sums (s_n) where |s_n - s_(n+1)| is less than (1/n) but the series diverges. Another possible counterexample is the sequence x_n = 1/n which converges but the sequence of partial sums (s_n) diverges.
zebraman

Homework Statement

Let (x_n) be a real sequence which satisfies |x_n - x_(n+1)| < (1/n) for all natural numbers n.

Does (x_n) necessarily converge? Prove or provide counterexample.

Homework Equations

Cauchy Criterion for sequences

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured at first that this would be easily solved by determining if this sequence was a Cauchy sequence since the difference between the terms decreases with each successive term, but you don't know that you can always find a point after which the terms x_n, x_m have a difference of less than an epsilon. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of a series whose partials sums diverge while satisfying the requirement:
|s_n - s_(n+1)| < (1/n)?

Well I was thinking the sequence of partial sums of the sequence x_n = 1/n diverges (Harmonic Series). But I guess since |x_n + x_(n+1)|<(1/n) that won't work.

In the sequence

[tex] s_n = \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{i}[/tex]

what is the value of |[tex]s_n - s_{n+1}[/tex]|?

|s_n - s_(n+1)| = 1/(n+1), so are you saying that will serve as a counter argument? Because doesn't the sequence x_n = 1/n converge?

zebraman said:
|s_n - s_(n+1)| = 1/(n+1), so are you saying that will serve as a counter argument? Because doesn't the sequence x_n = 1/n converge?

1/n converges. But sethric is suggesting using the sequence s_n, not 1/n. If you know the series 1/n diverges then you know the sequence of partial sums diverges. If you want a more easily expressed answer you might want to think about using an approximation to s_n. What is it?

Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.

I'm asking if you know that s_n is approximately equal to log(n) by an integral test.

No, but is that important?

Dick is correct, I was suggesting to use the sequence s_n. You have already shown:

|s_n - s_(n+1)| = 1/(n+1) < 1/n

You have also already said s_n diverges.

zebraman said:
No, but is that important?

No, it's not important if you use sethric's suggestion. It's another series that has similar properties to the s_n.

1. What is a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value as the number of terms in the sequence increases. This value is known as the limit of the sequence.

2. How do you determine if a sequence is convergent or not?

To determine if a sequence is convergent, you can take the limit of the sequence as n approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is a finite number, then the sequence is convergent. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the sequence is not convergent.

3. Can a sequence be both convergent and divergent?

No, a sequence can only be either convergent or divergent. If a sequence has a limit, it is convergent. If a sequence does not have a limit, it is divergent.

4. What are some examples of convergent and divergent sequences?

An example of a convergent sequence is the sequence 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, ..., where the limit is 0. An example of a divergent sequence is the sequence 1, -1, 1, -1, 1, -1, ..., where the limit does not exist.

5. Why is it important to understand the concept of convergent sequences?

Convergent sequences are important in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus, analysis, and physics. They allow us to make predictions and understand how values change over time or as inputs change. Additionally, understanding convergent sequences helps us to understand the behavior of more complex mathematical functions and models.