Convergence of Sequence x_n = (1/2)(x_n + 2/x_n)

In summary: So we can see that: x_n + 2 > \sqrt{2} .This is just a convoluted way of saying that: x_n + 2> \sqrt{2} . In summary, x_n + 2> \sqrt{2}
linuxux
Hello, I have a question i can figure out.

THE QUESTION:

Show that

[tex]\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{2\sqrt{2}}, \sqrt{2\sqrt{2\sqrt{2}}}, ...[/tex]

converges and find the limit.From what I see, the first term is root 2, the second term will be the root of 2 times the first term making it larger than the first term, the third term will be the root of 2 times the second term making it larger than the second term.

How can this converge to a real number?

Physics news on Phys.org
A formal proof would involve showing that the sequence [tex] x_n= \sqrt{2x_{n-1}} , x_1= \sqrt{2}[/tex] is strictly increasing and is bounded by a certain value, but really that's boring isn't it?

Heres a less rigorous but more fun way :)

Lets take some terms in the sequence and solve for 2 (Not that hard, just square both sides and divide both sides by 2 until the RHS is prepared :) :

[tex]x_1^2 = 2[/tex]
[tex] \frac{ x_2^4}{4} = 2[/tex]
[tex] \frac{ x_3^8}{64} = 2[/tex]

Ooo i Think i see a pattern :) Write the Denominators on the LHS as a power of 2, and take them over to the RHS :)

[tex]x_3^8 = 2^7[/tex]

We can see in general :
[tex] x_n^{2^n} = 2^{2^n -1} [/tex]

So using this for the 5th term,
[tex] x_5^{32} = 2^{31}[/tex], which I've checked is true.

Now, Take the log base 2 of the general form and use the following log rule, where b can be any base: [itex] \log_b y^k = k \log_b y[/itex].

So we have: [tex]2^n \log_2 x_n = 2^n -1[/tex], dividing both sides by [itex]2^n[/tex] and then making both sides the exponents of 2 finally gives us:

[tex] x_n = 2^{ \frac{2^n -1}{2^n}}[/tex].

So now, take the limit as n approaches infinity, the exponent on the RHS becomes 1. ie
[tex] \lim_{n\to \infty} x_n = 2[/tex].

Very nice?

Gib Z said:
A formal proof would involve showing that the sequence [tex] x_n= \sqrt{2x_{n-1}} , x_1= \sqrt{2}[/tex] is strictly increasing and is bounded by a certain value, but really that's boring isn't it?

Heres a less rigorous but more fun way :)

Lets take some terms in the sequence and solve for 2 (Not that hard, just square both sides and divide both sides by 2 until the RHS is prepared :) :

[tex]x_1^2 = 2[/tex]
[tex] \frac{ x_2^4}{4} = 2[/tex]
[tex] \frac{ x_3^8}{64} = 2[/tex]

Ooo i Think i see a pattern :) Write the Denominators on the LHS as a power of 2, and take them over to the RHS :)

[tex]x_3^8 = 2^7[/tex]

We can see in general :
[tex] x_n^{2^n} = 2^{2^n -1} [/tex]

So using this for the 5th term,
[tex] x_5^{32} = 2^{31}[/tex], which I've checked is true.

Now, Take the log base 2 of the general form and use the following log rule, where b can be any base: [itex] \log_b y^k = k \log_b y[/itex].

So we have: [tex]2^n \log_2 x_n = 2^n -1[/tex], dividing both sides by [itex]2^n[/tex] and then making both sides the exponents of 2 finally gives us:

[tex] x_n = 2^{ \frac{2^n -1}{2^n}}[/tex].

So now, take the limit as n approaches infinity, the exponent on the RHS becomes 1. ie
[tex] \lim_{n\to \infty} x_n = 2[/tex].

Very nice?

Sir, thank you.

No, thank YOU, I think that's the first time I've ever been called sir :D

The monotone convergence theorem is the formal proof I mentioned you could do in my original post, Wikipedia states: If a_k is a monotone sequence of real numbers (e.g., if a_k ≤ a_{k+1},) then this sequence has a limit (if we admit plus and minus infinity as possible limits.) The limit is finite if and only if the sequence is bounded. I don't know why or how they could implement summation into it. Please post the proofs if the book included them.

Edit: It seems you deleted your last post, making me look like a crackpot talking to myself lol

Last edited:
Gib Z said:
Please post the proofs if the book included them.
No, no proof. the previous ones i did all utilized summation and that was the only technique they showed, but I'll tinker with it until tomorrow if i can't get it I'll surely post.
Gib Z said:
Edit: It seems you deleted your last post, making me look like a crackpot talking to myself lol

Just trying to keep you on your toes.

;)

Last edited:
Another Question

I have another question for you.

I have a sequence defined by:

[tex]x_1=2[/tex]

[tex]x_{n+1}=\frac{1}{2}(x_n + \frac{2}{x_n})[/tex]

and i have to show that

[tex]x^2_n[/tex]

is always greater than 2.The only thing i can come up is this; I end up using two cases (its convoluted, its confusing, i don't even know if it qualifies as a proof, i don't know if its the best proof if it is a proof, but anyway) :

i have to show that:

[tex]x^2_n > 2[/tex] which is equivalent to [tex]x_n > \sqrt{2}[/tex]we assume

[tex]x_n > \sqrt{2} [/tex].

we know

2 > [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex].the expression

[tex]x_n + 2[/tex]

has two numbers > [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex].when we add 2 to [tex]x_n[/tex] the result will either be a number twice as great as [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] or not.case 1:
suppose adding 2 to [tex]x_n[/tex] does produce a number twice as great as [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex].

we know

[tex]x^2_n > x_n > \sqrt{2}[/tex]

so

[tex]\frac{x^2_n}{x_n} > \sqrt{2}[/tex].

but if

[tex]\frac{x^2_n}{2x_n} < \sqrt{2}[/tex]

then

[tex]\frac{x^2_n + 2}{2x_n} > \sqrt{2}[/tex]case 2:
suppose adding 2 to [tex]x_n[/tex] does not produce a number twice as great as [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex].

then we know [tex]x^2_n[/tex] is a number at least 4 times greater than [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex].

so

[tex]\frac{x^2_n}{2x_n}[/tex] is still greater than [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex].does that work as a proof?

(by the way, I've still only been given Monotone Convergence and Cauchy Condensation to use to prove.)

Last edited:

1. What is a convergent series?

A convergent series is a type of mathematical series where the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In other words, as more terms are added to the series, the total sum gets closer and closer to a specific number.

2. How is a convergent series different from a divergent series?

A divergent series is a type of mathematical series where the sum of its terms approaches infinity as the number of terms increases. This means that no matter how many terms are added to the series, the total sum will never reach a specific number. In contrast, a convergent series approaches a finite value rather than infinity.

3. What is the formula for determining if a series is convergent or divergent?

The formula for determining the convergence or divergence of a series is called the limit comparison test. This involves comparing the given series to a known series with known convergence or divergence. If the two series have the same behavior, then the given series will have the same behavior as well.

4. What are some real-world applications of convergent series?

Convergent series have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, convergent series are used to model the behavior of electrical circuits and the motion of objects under the force of gravity. In economics, convergent series are used to analyze the growth of financial investments over time.

5. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series can only be either convergent or divergent. A series cannot be both, as the definitions of convergence and divergence are mutually exclusive. However, it is possible for a series to be neither convergent nor divergent, in which case it is said to be oscillatory.