1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converging analysis proof

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that (an) is a bounded (but not necessarily convergent) sequence, and that the
    sequence (bn) converges to 0. Prove that the sequence (anbn) converges to zero.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Assume that an is a bounded sequence and bn converges to 0.

That means for all n in N, there exists a M >0 so that
    Since bn converges, that means that it must be bounded as well. Which means for all n in N there exists a P>0 so that

since |an|<=M and |bn|<=P that means for all n in N:
    |an||bn|<= MP which is equivalent to |anbn|<=MP
    where MP>0 since M>0 and P>0. Hence (anbn) is bounded

Since bn converges to 0 that means for e>0 there exists an N in N so that for n>=N
    which is equivalent to -e<bn<e

This is where I get stuck. Do I just multiply the inequality by an? cause then I'd have
    which would be equivalent to |anbn|<e2 if I let e2=e(an) which would mean that anbn converges to zero as well. But I don't know if I can multiply the sequence by it though....

Any help would be great!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

an bounded look alright
    As bn is convergent, I would say for any P>0, there exists N such that for all n>N then
    |bn-0|< |bn|

i think you were almost there...

now what you need to show to prove an.bn converges to zero, is that for any e>0 you can choose N, such that for all n>N you have

as you know an<=M for all n, then

so now you just need to show you can choose N such that for all n>N
    and i think you're there
  4. Sep 26, 2009 #3

Homework Helper

updated above
  5. Sep 27, 2009 #4
    thanks for the help :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?