Converging and diverging Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of convergence tests to determine whether a sequence converges or diverges. The speaker asks for confirmation on their chosen convergence tests and whether their answers are correct, and also inquires about a method for determining correctness by calculating the first n terms. The conversation also includes a correction for question 1, specifying that it is for all integers one and over and the denominator should read 3n-2.
penroseandpaper
Homework Statement
Deduce whether these three series are converging or diverging
Relevant Equations
Convergence tests
Would somebody be kind enough to check whether I've picked the right convergence tests for each of these and reached the right answers? There are no solutions in the book.

Also, is there a method I can use to determine if I'm right - does calculating the first n terms help?

Thank you
Edit: meant to say it's for all integers one and over. Plus, the denominator in question 1 is meant to read 3n-2.

Attachments

• IMG_20201002_193640.jpg
    IMG_20201002_193640.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 147
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's corrected question 1

Attachments

• IMG_20201002_194943.jpg
    IMG_20201002_194943.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 131
penroseandpaper said:
Homework Statement:: Deduce whether these three series are converging or diverging
Relevant Equations:: Convergence tests

Would somebody be kind enough to check whether I've picked the right convergence tests for each of these and reached the right answers? There are no solutions in the book.
Your work looks fine to me (including the edited version of question 1). Sometimes there are multiple convergence tests that work, so there might not be only one way to determine whether a sequence converges.
penroseandpaper said:
Also, is there a method I can use to determine if I'm right - does calculating the first n terms help?
For some sequences, calculating the first n terms doesn't help. For example, ##s_n = \{ (-1)^n\}, n \ge 1##.
penroseandpaper said:
Thank you
Edit: meant to say it's for all integers one and over. Plus, the denominator in question 1 is meant to read 3n-2.

1. What is the definition of a converging series?

A converging series is a mathematical series in which the terms of the series approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

2. How can I determine if a series is converging or diverging?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the terms of the series as the number of terms increases.

3. What is the difference between a converging series and a diverging series?

A converging series has a finite limit as the number of terms increases, while a diverging series does not have a finite limit and instead either approaches infinity or oscillates between different values.

4. Can a series be both converging and diverging?

No, a series can only be either converging or diverging. If a series has a finite limit, it is converging. If it does not have a finite limit, it is diverging.

5. What are some real-world applications of converging and diverging series?

Converging and diverging series are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, finance, and computer science. They can be used to model physical phenomena, analyze financial data, and optimize algorithms, among other applications.