Solving the Problem of Converging Lenses' Focal Point

In summary, the student is struggling with a homework question about the focal point of a lens. They know the equations 1/o + 1/i = 1/f and m = -i/o, and that the image distance is 1.6m. However, when they solve for o using these equations, they are getting the wrong answer. They are seeking help to complete the problem.
raiieanna
I am having trouble with my homework. I know the answer but I can't figure out how to get there. The question is "An image of a flower is produced on a screen by a lens 1.60m from the screen. The image of the flower has a linear magnification of -2.5. What is the focal point of the lens?" I know the 1/o + 1/i = 1/f. I also know that
m = -i/o. Also, the image distance 1.6m. So, shouldn't -2.5=-1.6/o? But when I do this I get the wrong answer! Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have
[tex] \frac 1 o + \frac 1 i = \frac 1 f [/tex]
and
[tex] -2.5 = -\frac i o [/tex]
and
[tex] i= 1.6m[/tex]
so
[tex] i = 2.5 o [/tex]
[tex] 1.6m = 2.5o[/tex]
[tex] o = \frac {1.6} {2.5}m[/tex]

Can you finish it now?

Hi there,

I can understand how this problem can be confusing, but let's break it down step by step to solve it.

First, we know that the distance between the lens and the screen is 1.60m. This is the image distance (i) in the formula 1/o + 1/i = 1/f.

Next, we are given the linear magnification (m) of -2.5. This means that the image is 2.5 times smaller than the object. Since the formula for linear magnification is m = -i/o, we can rearrange it to solve for the object distance (o). This gives us o = -i/m.

Now, we can substitute the values we have into the formula 1/o + 1/i = 1/f. This gives us 1/(-i/m) + 1/i = 1/f. Simplifying this equation, we get -1/i + 1/i = 1/f. This cancels out, leaving us with 1/f = 0. Therefore, f = infinity.

This might seem like the wrong answer, but remember that we are dealing with a converging lens. This means that the focal point is actually on the opposite side of the lens from the object. In other words, the focal point is behind the lens.

To find the actual focal point, we need to use the sign convention for lenses. In this case, since the object is on the same side as the focal point, the object distance (o) is positive. And since the image is on the opposite side of the focal point, the image distance (i) is negative. This means that the formula becomes 1/o + 1/i = 1/f. Substituting in the values we have, we get 1/1.60 + 1/-1.60 = 1/f. Solving for f, we get f = -0.64m.

So, the focal point of the lens is -0.64m, or 64cm, behind the lens.

I hope this helps you understand how to solve this problem. Just remember to pay attention to the sign convention and the direction of light rays when dealing with converging lenses. Best of luck with your homework!

1. What is the problem of converging lenses' focal point?

The problem of converging lenses' focal point is that when light rays from an object pass through a converging lens, they are refracted and converge at a focal point. However, due to imperfections in the lens or other external factors, the focal point may not be exactly where it is supposed to be. This can result in blurry or distorted images.

2. How is the focal point of a lens determined?

The focal point of a lens is determined by its curvature and refractive index. The curvature of the lens causes light rays to bend towards the center, and the refractive index determines how much the light is bent. The point at which the bent light rays converge is the focal point.

3. How can the problem of converging lenses' focal point be solved?

The problem of converging lenses' focal point can be solved by adjusting the curvature or refractive index of the lens. This can be done by using different materials or coatings for the lens, or by using multiple lenses with different curvatures to correct for imperfections.

4. What are some common methods for correcting the focal point of a lens?

Some common methods for correcting the focal point of a lens include using anti-reflective coatings to reduce aberrations, using aspheric lenses to reduce spherical aberration, and using multi-element lenses to correct for chromatic aberration. Another method is to use computer-aided design and manufacturing techniques to create lenses with precise curvatures and refractive indices.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the focal point of a lens?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the focal point of a lens. These include the temperature and humidity of the environment, the angle at which light enters the lens, and the size and shape of the lens. These factors can also cause the focal point to shift or become distorted, so it is important to consider them when designing and using lenses.