Conversion from dry KOH to liquid 45% KOH

In summary, 34 liters of 45% liquid KOH would be required to produce the same result as 42 lbs of 90% purity flakes.
pmason61
Hoping to get my assumptions and math verified here.

We have a process that requires 42 lbs of dry flake KOH (90% purity). Looking to find the equivalent volume (liters) of 45% liquid KOH (11.1 molar strength) - being extracted from a 55 gallon drum.

1 liter of liquid KOH has 11.1 x 56 grams/liter = 621 grams of KOH (1.37 lbs). Adjusting to 90% purity - 1.23 lbs.

So the equivalent volume of liquid KOH required would be 42/1.23 = 34 liters of 45% liquid KOH. Is this correct?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do you know that the solution used 90% purity flake KOH? The quoted molarity refers to pure KOH. So this statement is not correct in my opinion: Adjusting to 90% purity - 1.23 lbs.

• Skeptical
Likes hutchphd
pmason61 said:
- being extracted from a 55 gallon drum.
What do you mean, "extracted" from the container drum?

Not "liquid KOH", but "solution of KOH".

As far as I know 45% w/w KOH is 11.7 M, so the numbers seem to be slightly off.

Broadly speaking 34 L of 11.1 M KOH solution should contain the same amount of KOH that is present in 42 lbs of 90% purity flakes. Assuming I guessed correctly what you mean - your answer seems OK.

Likes hutchphd
Some useful information to use would be or include this:
Density for 45% KOH, 1.510 grams per cubic centimeter (Or 1.456 at 25C; depends on temperature)
KOH formula weight is 56.105 grams per mole.

What is the form of measure for the "45%" Potassium Hydroxide? Is this weight per weight, or is this weight per volume? I have seen both in use. You need to know which is yours to be?

symbolipoint said:
What is the form of measure for the "45%" Potassium Hydroxide? Is this weight per weight, or is this weight per volume? I have seen both in use. You need to know which is yours to be?
For the record: 45% w/v is around 8M.

pmason61 said:
Hoping to get my assumptions and math verified here.

We have a process that requires 42 lbs of dry flake KOH (90% purity). Looking to find the equivalent volume (liters) of 45% liquid KOH (11.1 molar strength) - being extracted from a 55 gallon drum.

1 liter of liquid KOH has 11.1 x 56 grams/liter = 621 grams of KOH (1.37 lbs). Adjusting to 90% purity - 1.23 lbs.

So the equivalent volume of liquid KOH required would be 42/1.23 = 34 liters of 45% liquid KOH. Is this correct?
This gives every indication of being an industrial scale process. Yet neither you nor your colleagues know how to do the calculations?

If that is indeed the case, I suggest you abandon whatever you are attempting until you learn how to work in the necessary environment in a safe manner.

Likes Bystander

1. How do you convert dry KOH to liquid 45% KOH?

The conversion process involves dissolving the dry KOH in water to create a concentrated solution, and then diluting it with water to reach a 45% concentration.

2. What is the purpose of converting dry KOH to liquid 45% KOH?

The purpose of this conversion is to create a more easily manageable and precise form of KOH for use in various applications, such as in the production of soaps and detergents, as a catalyst in chemical reactions, and in the production of biodiesel.

3. How is the concentration of 45% KOH determined?

The concentration of KOH is typically determined by measuring the weight of the KOH and the weight of the water used to dilute it. This can also be calculated using the molarity of the solution.

4. Can the conversion process be reversed?

Yes, the conversion from dry KOH to liquid 45% KOH can be reversed by evaporating the water from the solution, leaving behind the dry KOH once again.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when converting dry KOH to liquid 45% KOH?

Yes, it is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling KOH as it is a caustic substance. It is also important to carefully measure and mix the KOH and water to prevent any spills or splashes.