1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conversion of Voltage into Radiation counts

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    Good day everyone,
    Anyone know how to convert (exact conversion if possible) voltage readings using an oscilloscope into radiation counts? It can be done right? After all, the radiation count is dependent on voltage applied. I've been looking for a while now with no luck on the matter.

Thanks and GODBLESS.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Without a description of the measurement setup, it is impossible to answer your question.

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    You understand voltage does not produce radiation counts, right. In general the radiation count should NOT depend on the voltage applied....applied voltage is used to amplify very weak register counts intio more easily detectable power levels.

If you want to display radiation counts on an oscilloscope, is that your objective, just replace the counter in the schematic here with the inputs to your oscilloscope:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger_counter

You won't see much of interest....just blips [spikes] which you will have to count manually.

5. Apr 14, 2013 #4
    thanks for the response...

@Naty1: i'm trying to obtain radiation counts with that setup, replacing the counter with and oscilloscope. but wouldn't the oscilloscope display the voltage from the setup instead of radiation counts? or is it already the radiation counts that the oscilloscope records?

6. Apr 15, 2013 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

why do you want to use a scope ... a really difficult way to do the counting when there are much easier ways ?

Dave

7. Apr 15, 2013 #6
    just trying to do things differently, if it is possible.. any thoughts? in a geiger setup, instead of a counter i'll be using an oscilloscope. the oscilloscope would read the counts but in voltage. any ideas how to convert this voltage into radiation counts?

8. Apr 15, 2013 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The oscilloscope will give a spike for every detected photon. You would have to count those spikes, their height is not relevant for the number of detected photons.

9. Apr 15, 2013 #8
    if the height of the spikes produced are irrelevant to the number of radiation events[photon >> gamma rays], how would i be able to obtain the CPM?

10. Apr 15, 2013 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You can't. That's what we are trying to tell you. You're using the wrong tool.

11. Apr 15, 2013 #10
    Run the Geiger counter and the oscilloscope together. And you'll be able to see each voltage spike as it registers.....then you can disconnect the oscilloscope because as I said in my first post "you won;t see anything of interest...."

But fussing with equipment on your own to get a feel for how different apparatus works can be fun in itself....

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  12. Apr 15, 2013 #11
    thanks for the help.. GODBLESS

13. Apr 16, 2013 #12
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  14. Apr 16, 2013 #13
    emir...you know there are dozens if not hundreds of counters around..right??....
    most counters I know of are based on mechanical or electrical inputs. For example, the make counters for bilge pumps on boats...so when you have been away and return you can see if you bilge pump has been cycling on and off....indicating a leak!! Have you seen digital tachometers?? etc,etc...On my boat I had a 12v pulse generator mounted on the engine ...magnetic based I'm sure.....and electric wires to the helm [steering station] for the display of engine speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook