Conversion of Voltage into Radiation counts

In summary: You could make a counter for just about anything with a digital storage oscilloscope and a bit of soldering.You could try evaluating the output of a proportional counter using a very sophisticated digital storage oscilloscope, but that would be a lot of effort and probably not worth it.
emirflores
Good day everyone,
Anyone know how to convert (exact conversion if possible) voltage readings using an oscilloscope into radiation counts? It can be done right? After all, the radiation count is dependent on voltage applied. I've been looking for a while now with no luck on the matter.

Thanks and GODBLESS.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a description of the measurement setup, it is impossible to answer your question.

You understand voltage does not produce radiation counts, right. In general the radiation count should NOT depend on the voltage applied...applied voltage is used to amplify very weak register counts intio more easily detectable power levels.

If you want to display radiation counts on an oscilloscope, is that your objective, just replace the counter in the schematic here with the inputs to your oscilloscope:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger_counter

You won't see much of interest...just blips [spikes] which you will have to count manually.

thanks for the response...

@Naty1: I'm trying to obtain radiation counts with that setup, replacing the counter with and oscilloscope. but wouldn't the oscilloscope display the voltage from the setup instead of radiation counts? or is it already the radiation counts that the oscilloscope records?

why do you want to use a scope ... a really difficult way to do the counting when there are much easier ways ?

Dave

just trying to do things differently, if it is possible.. any thoughts? in a geiger setup, instead of a counter i'll be using an oscilloscope. the oscilloscope would read the counts but in voltage. any ideas how to convert this voltage into radiation counts?

The oscilloscope will give a spike for every detected photon. You would have to count those spikes, their height is not relevant for the number of detected photons.

if the height of the spikes produced are irrelevant to the number of radiation events[photon >> gamma rays], how would i be able to obtain the CPM?

You can't. That's what we are trying to tell you. You're using the wrong tool.

how would i be able to obtain the CPM?

Run the Geiger counter and the oscilloscope together. And you'll be able to see each voltage spike as it registers...then you can disconnect the oscilloscope because as I said in my first post "you won;t see anything of interest..."

But fussing with equipment on your own to get a feel for how different apparatus works can be fun in itself...

Last edited:
thanks for the help.. GODBLESS

Last edited:
emir...you know there are dozens if not hundreds of counters around..right??...
most counters I know of are based on mechanical or electrical inputs. For example, the make counters for bilge pumps on boats...so when you have been away and return you can see if you bilge pump has been cycling on and off...indicating a leak! Have you seen digital tachometers?? etc,etc...On my boat I had a 12v pulse generator mounted on the engine ...magnetic based I'm sure...and electric wires to the helm [steering station] for the display of engine speed.

1. How is voltage converted into radiation counts?

The conversion of voltage into radiation counts is achieved through the use of a radiation detector. The detector converts the energy from incoming radiation into an electrical current, which is then amplified and converted into voltage. The voltage is then measured and calibrated to determine the number of radiation counts.

2. What is the relationship between voltage and radiation counts?

Voltage and radiation counts have a direct relationship, meaning that as voltage increases, so do the number of radiation counts. This relationship is determined by the sensitivity of the radiation detector and can vary depending on the type of detector used.

3. Can voltage be used as a direct measure of radiation?

No, voltage alone cannot be used as a direct measure of radiation. Voltage is only one component in the conversion process and must be calibrated and interpreted alongside other factors, such as the type of radiation and the sensitivity of the detector, in order to accurately determine the level of radiation present.

4. What factors can affect the conversion of voltage into radiation counts?

Several factors can affect the conversion of voltage into radiation counts, including the type and energy of the radiation, the sensitivity of the detector, and any external factors that may interfere with the measurement process. It is important to carefully calibrate and monitor these factors in order to obtain accurate and reliable results.

5. How can the accuracy of voltage to radiation count conversion be improved?

To improve the accuracy of voltage to radiation count conversion, it is important to use high-quality radiation detectors that are properly calibrated and maintained. It is also crucial to carefully monitor and control any external factors that may affect the measurement process, and to use appropriate conversion equations and techniques for the specific type of radiation being measured.