Converting Binary to Decimal: Calculating 2/3

• Thread starter goaliejoe35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Binary
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the binary equivalent of 2/3 out to eight places and converting it to decimal. The method involves multiplying by 2 and using negative powers of two to represent fractions in binary. The final answer is 10101010, which is equivalent to 0.66666667 in decimal.
goaliejoe35
Homework Statement
Calculate the binary equivalent of 2/3 out to eight places. Then convert from binary to decimal. How close is the result to 2/3?

The attempt at a solution

I new to this and I am still trying to figure this stuff out so if someone could walk me through this that would be great! Here's what I came up with from some stuff I read...

2/3 * 2 = 1+1/3 X1=1
1/3 * 2 = 0+2/3 X2=0
...and so on...

I did that out to 8 places and got the number 10101010 and i suppose that that is actually 0.10101010 since 2/3 is .66666667?

Is this correct and if so how do I convert to decimal?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fractions in binary are stored as sum's of negative powers of two.
So write the headings, 1/2 1/4 1/8 1/16 1/32 ...
Convert the decimal to binary in almost the same way as you would for a whole number.
eg 0.66666666 -0.5 = 0.16 , so a 1 in the half column
0.16 is less than 0.25 so a 0 in the quarter column
0.16 - 0.125 = 0.035 so a 1 in the 1/8 column

etc.

If you do it this way, you have the remainder automatically as you work out thebinary.

I don't understand why your subtracting?

Each time you put down a 1 (representing a value of 1/2 or 1/4 of 1/8, etc.), you have less and less remainder left.

- Warren

Related to Converting Binary to Decimal: Calculating 2/3

What is binary to decimal conversion?

Binary to decimal conversion is the process of converting a number represented in the binary number system (base 2) to its equivalent representation in the decimal number system (base 10).

How do I convert binary to decimal?

To convert binary to decimal, you can use the following formula:
Decimal number = (bn * 2n) + (bn-1 * 2n-1) + ... + (b1 * 21) + (b0 * 20)
Where bn to b0 are the binary digits and n is the position of each digit in the binary number starting from the rightmost digit.

What is the binary representation of 2/3?

The binary representation of 2/3 is 0.101010... (repeating) in binary form. This can also be written as 0.1 (repeating) or 0.1 with a line above it to indicate the repeating pattern.

How do I calculate 2/3 in binary?

To calculate 2/3 in binary, you can use the long division method. The result will be a repeating pattern of 0.1 in binary form. Alternatively, you can convert 2 and 3 into binary form first (10 and 11 respectively) and then divide them to get the repeating pattern of 0.1.

Why do we convert binary to decimal?

We convert binary to decimal because the decimal number system is the most commonly used number system in our daily lives. It is easier for us to understand and work with decimal numbers. Converting binary to decimal allows us to easily perform calculations and comparisons with binary numbers.