Converting from Cartesian to Parametric form

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a parametric vector equation for a plane in R^3 with a given cartesian equation. The steps and mistakes made in attempting to solve the problem are also mentioned. The correct solution involves having two parameters and the final parametric equation is (x,y,z) = (s,t, (-6-4t)/5) where s and t are independent parameters.
JFonseka
[SOLVED] Converting from Cartesian to Parametric form

Homework Statement

Find a parametric vector equation of for the plane in R^3 having cartesian equation

4y + 5z = - 6

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was, first I turned the equation into 4x + 5y = -6, cause I'm more comfortable just treating equations like that.

Then I solved for y and got, y = (-4x -6)/5 = t

Hence x = (4t + 6)/5

and now y = t.

Then in parametric form it becomes:

(x, y) = (6/5, 0) + (4/5, 1)t

Is this right or wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
As it's a plane, you need two parameters to describe it. This is a standard transform -- the equations for a plane in cartesian form and parametric form are well known, and have easy to understand geometric ties. Understand how they both relate to the geometry, and it will be easy to swap between them.

JFonseka said:

Homework Statement

Find a parametric vector equation of for the plane in R^3 having cartesian equation

4y + 5z = - 6

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was, first I turned the equation into 4x + 5y = -6, cause I'm more comfortable just treating equations like that.
Unfortunately, it's not true now! Your original equation had y and z, not x and y! You can't just arbitrarily change it!

Then I solved for y and got, y = (-4x -6)/5 = t

Hence x = (4t + 6)/5
?? If y= (-4x-6)/5, then x is NOT (4y+6)/5. From 4x+ 5y= -6 (which is incorrect itself), solving for x gives x= (-5y-6)/4.

and now y = t.

Then in parametric form it becomes:

(x, y) = (6/5, 0) + (4/5, 1)t

Is this right or wrong?
What happened to z?? This is a plane in three dimensions. Since a plane is a two-dimensional object, parametric equations must involve two independent parameters.
You can do this: solve 4y+ 5z= -6 for either y or z: say, z= (-6-4y)/5. Now you can let y be the parameter: y= t, z= (-6-4t)/5.

Since your equation tells you nothing about x, x can be any number for all y and t: let x be the other parameter. Now what do you have?

I still don't get it, so Iwe have z = (-6 -4t)/5 now and I let x be equal to anything?

JFonseka said:
I still don't get it, so Iwe have z = (-6 -4t)/5 now and I let x be equal to anything?

As genneth and Halls said, you should expect to have two parameters. y= t, z= (-6-4t)/5, x=s is one way to write it.

Yea I managed to solve it a few hours ago, thanks for the replies guys!

What is the difference between Cartesian and Parametric form?

Cartesian form is a way of representing points in a coordinate system using x and y coordinates. Parametric form is a way of representing points using equations with a parameter, usually denoted by t or s.

Why would someone want to convert from Cartesian to Parametric form?

Converting to parametric form can make certain calculations and transformations easier, as well as allowing for more flexibility in representing curves and surfaces.

How do you convert from Cartesian to Parametric form?

To convert from Cartesian to Parametric form, you can set up equations for x and y in terms of a parameter t. For example, x = 2t and y = 3t would be the parametric equations for a line in Cartesian form y = 1.5x. You can also use trigonometric functions and other techniques to convert more complex equations.

What are the benefits of using Parametric form?

Parametric form can make it easier to work with curves and surfaces, as well as allowing for a wider range of equations to be represented. It can also make it easier to visualize and understand certain mathematical concepts.

Are there any limitations to using Parametric form?

One limitation of parametric form is that it may not always be as intuitive as Cartesian form, especially for those who are used to working with x and y coordinates. It may also be more difficult to graph and plot equations in parametric form, as they require a third dimension to fully represent.