1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting magnetic field strength into a vectorial distance.

1. Aug 3, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,
    I trying to work out this formula for work. We have a magnetic solenoid that is suspended a certain distance from a sensor tool. This sensor has 3 magnetometers that measure the field strength in Bx,By,Bz directions. The magnetic solenoid is run with a constant current of 0.75A. We have software that will take these values, along with the Ax,Ay,Az, Inclination and Azimuth readings and tell us the distance in N/S and E/W. eg: 10m N, 5m W.

I need to work out how this is calculated and was hoping someone here could be of assistance.
    Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2008 #2
    anyone? maybe even just rough idea. I been trawling through the maths for 2 days now n cant seem to get anywhere.

4. Aug 6, 2008 #3
    hmm, well thats not very helpful is it. :\

5. Oct 7, 2008 #4
    The forum is usually pretty helpful, but you should include a attempt at your solution and relevant equations also. You'll be more likely to get a response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?