Converting Nintendo 3DS Battery Voltage: A Guide for Developers

In summary, the user is seeking help converting the voltage readings from their Nintendo 3DS battery to standard units. They have gathered some information about the voltage values at different battery levels and the voltage of the adapter and battery itself. They also mention a potential conversion formula, but are unsure about its accuracy. They provide some additional resources for further information on Li-ion battery charging.
Joel16
Hello I need a bit of some help here. I have a Nintendo 3DS and I'm trying to get my program to display its battery voltage. The thing is the voltage function that Nintendo uses returns values in an unknown format, and I don't have access to a multi-meter to get the correct readings right now, so I'm wondering if there's just some math required to convert these units to standard units. (V / mV)

The current information I have is this:

When the charger is plugged into a fully charged 3DS unit, this value will be maximum 0xD1 (209)

Unplugging the charger will make the value go down to 0xCE (206)

The voltage at 5% battery percentage just after the LEDs start flashing is 0xAF (175)

Plugging in the charger at this point will make the voltage go up to 0xB9 (185)Additional information:
The adapter has a voltage of 5.0V
The battery (LiON) has a voltage of 3.7V

Edit:
From what me and a few other developers have gathered is that this magic number may be 5.0. That is, 5.0 * (batteryVolt / 256.0), but we aren't too sure about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It has more to do with the a/d convertor and how the voltage is scaled ahead of it. While it is entirely possible that 255 (not 256) is the max it will read, how was what is being measured scaled down ahead of the a/d? I could measure 10000 volts with the appropriate voltage divider ahead of the a/d with poorer resolution of course than feeding the a/d directly with a 0-5 volt signal. Or, they may have scaled down lower than this for some unknown reason.

Likes Joel16

What is the voltage of the Nintendo 3DS battery?

The voltage of the Nintendo 3DS battery is 3.7 volts.

Can the Nintendo 3DS battery be replaced?

Yes, the Nintendo 3DS battery can be replaced. However, it is recommended to have it replaced by a professional to avoid any damage to the device.

How long does the Nintendo 3DS battery last?

The battery life of the Nintendo 3DS varies depending on usage and settings. On average, it can last between 3-5 hours when playing games and up to 10 hours when in sleep mode.

Does the voltage of the Nintendo 3DS battery affect its performance?

Yes, the voltage of the battery can affect the performance of the Nintendo 3DS. If the voltage drops too low, the device may shut down or not function properly. It is important to monitor the battery level and replace it when necessary.

Can I use a different voltage battery for my Nintendo 3DS?

No, it is not recommended to use a different voltage battery for the Nintendo 3DS. Doing so can damage the device and may void the warranty. It is important to use the specified voltage for optimal performance.