Converting Units (Medical Application)

In summary, converting units in a medical application involves accurately converting measurements from one unit to another, such as from milligrams to grams or from inches to centimeters. This is crucial in the medical field to ensure precise dosages and measurements for medications, medical procedures, and patient care. Converting units also requires understanding and using conversion factors and conversion formulas. It is important for medical professionals to have a thorough understanding of unit conversions to avoid errors and promote patient safety.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I need to convert mj/mm^2 to bar is there a way to do that ? I think we cannot ,bar is N/m^2 but we have j/m^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One unit is an energy per area (energy density), but the other is a force per area (pressure). They have different dimensions and thus measure different things.

Doc Al said:
One unit is an energy per area (energy density), but the other is a force per area (pressure). They have different dimensions and thus measure different things.
Yes I agree, thanks

Arman777 said:
So I needed to convert 0.55mj/mm^2 to bar
Doc Al said:
One unit is an energy per area (energy density), but the other is a force per area (pressure).

Still true.

Likes russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
Still true.
Yes i agree but what abou the table ? I mean i am going to physiotherapy and they asked me this question and i said we cannot convert but she said their machines are work in adjustment or it was somwthi g lke thay.

Arman777 said:
Yes i agree but what abou the table ?
I just skimmed that article, but it seems to say there are two ways of producing shockwaves. One of those ways can be characterized by the pressure used (compressed air), the other by the energy (magnetic). They are claiming they produce equivalent shock waves. Looks like some empirical chart.

(It's not a simple unit conversion, since those units are not measuring the same thing.)

Doc Al said:
I just skimmed that article, but it seems to say there are two ways of producing shockwaves. One of those ways can be characterized by the pressure used (compressed air), the other by the energy (magnetic). They are claiming they produce equivalent shock waves. Looks like some empirical chart.

(It's not a simple unit conversion, since those units are not measuring the same thing.)
Okay well I ll just show them the article since they are expert and I am sure they can deduce something from it

Btw I find this
Adsız.png

http://skanlab.no/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/swt_part_1.pdf

Attachments

• Adsız.png
    Adsız.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 465

1. How do I convert between metric and imperial units in the medical field?

To convert between metric and imperial units in the medical field, you will need to use conversion factors. These factors are specific values that relate the two systems of measurement. For example, to convert from kilograms to pounds, you would use the conversion factor of 2.2, meaning 1 kilogram is equal to 2.2 pounds.

2. What is the importance of converting units in the medical field?

Converting units in the medical field is crucial for accurate and consistent measurements. Different countries and healthcare systems may use different units of measurement, so conversions ensure that data can be easily understood and compared. Additionally, using the correct units can prevent errors in medication dosages and other critical medical calculations.

3. How can I convert units quickly and accurately?

One way to convert units quickly and accurately is to use online conversion calculators or mobile apps. These tools allow you to enter the value and unit you want to convert from, and then select the desired unit to convert to. Another method is to use conversion charts or tables, which provide the conversion factors for common unit conversions.

4. What are some common units used in the medical field?

Some common units used in the medical field include kilograms, pounds, meters, feet, liters, milliliters, and cubic centimeters. Other specialized units may also be used in specific medical fields, such as millimoles per liter for measuring blood glucose levels or international units (IU) for measuring medication potency.

5. Can units be converted between different systems of measurement?

Yes, units can be converted between different systems of measurement, such as metric and imperial. As mentioned before, conversion factors are used to relate the two systems of measurement. However, it is important to note that some units, such as temperature, may require more complex conversion formulas due to the differences in their scales.