Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cool Colour Vision Test

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1

Gold Member

I thought I got perfect. I am aghast to find I did poorly.

I'm gonig to blame it on test conditions. I'll try it again under proper lighting and viewing conditions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2008 #2
    I got a 15. What did you get? Surprisingly, I did poorest in the blue green range which is the part I found easiest.
  4. Oct 2, 2008 #3
    I got a 12, which I guess is ok.....
  5. Oct 2, 2008 #4
    Men are suppose to have a much harder time than women distinguishing between blue and green. Also, this test is pretty bogus since the hue depends on your monitor and your VGA hardware. Especially if your still running a CRT.
  6. Oct 2, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I got a 3 and was completely shocked that I faired this poorly (the first two replies led me to believe that the test was out of 20). But then I read how the thing was actually scored... :rofl:
  7. Oct 3, 2008 #6
    I got 79! I must be blind..
  8. Oct 3, 2008 #7
    i got a 7 :D
  9. Oct 3, 2008 #8

Gold Member

True, but keep in mind, this test doesn't depend on the absolute value of the colours, merely on the relative value. That'll be less subject to monitor nuances.
  10. Oct 3, 2008 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A lot better than I expected.
  11. Oct 3, 2008 #10
    i got a 20. i did surprisingly well on the last one, which is the one i found to have the greatest difficulty.
  12. Oct 3, 2008 #11
    I am going to have my wife take this test. She is always telling me I am color blind about clothes :cool:
  13. Oct 3, 2008 #12

I got a 16, I thought I did better than that. Looking at the spectra now, I can see errors.

When I was doing the first one, it made my eyes all weird. The colors were changing and the blocks looked like their sides were all crooked.

Attached Files:

14. Oct 3, 2008 #13

Gold Member

Phew. OK, test conditions do make a diff.

Last night, at midnight, on my laptop, in my dim living room, I scored a whopping 87 or so.

Today, at work, I scored 3 (I've always known I had excellent colour sensitivity). And I didn't spend any longer on it today.
  15. Oct 3, 2008 #14
    My best effort was an 89. poo.
  16. Oct 3, 2008 #15

don't really what that means!

It looked like an application of sorting algorithms. I used quick sort!
  17. Oct 3, 2008 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I took one look and gave up.

Give me a number sequence any day!
  18. Oct 3, 2008 #17

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4, in a dark room after a few glasses of red. Will try again tomorrow when I'm awake. I can see how you can get one or two in the wrong order, but I'm amazed how many people are challenged by this.
  19. Oct 3, 2008 #18
    I got a 4. Now my eyes hurt!
  20. Oct 3, 2008 #19

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I went back and did it. Got a 4! I'm as surprised as anyone. My eyes are also bugging out now. I took a while, though, flipping each tile back and forth with the adjacent ones.

I found that if you look a little off to the side, like looking for a faint star, I could determine the colors better. My center of vision started to jitter around on me.
  21. Oct 3, 2008 #20
    The first few are pretty easy to place. I found when I was nearing the completion of a row that it helped to back up a bit and scan the row. The mismatched hues seemed to jump right out.

I got a perfect score of 0. It must have been from shopping for paint with my wife all of these years :cool: I would hate to see an electrical control panel that uses those color hues.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?